1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Is the Midwest the best place to live off grid?

Post in 'The Green Room' started by DevilsBrew, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Circus

Circus Member

Loc:
    EC Wisconsin
    Paradise threatened. I love snow. It keeps all the people away. Don't come here.
    DevilsBrew likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    Na, this year has been unusally cool with a lot of upper 80* days. Don't think its hit 100* yet which is odd

Just pointing out that the midwest does get hot and humid. One of the side effects of a climate that gives relatively mild winters (but still a winter) and decent amounts of sun. The hunt for a mild winter, mild summer, and sun is why so many people end up on the west cost.
  3. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    THere is no one best place to "live off grid" Anywhere you can live like the amish who for the most part have always and continue to live off grid. We have a lot of those here in Pa.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I dunno, Hawaii is prolly where I would choose to live off the grid. With a mild consistent climate, good volcanic soil, year round growing, good solar, it's hard to beat.
    Frozen Canuck and Joful like this.
  5. DevilsBrew

DevilsBrew Minister of Fire

I worked the farmer's market today and the temps were in the high 70s. That is my ballpark. It's not too hot to work outside.

I have been developing my Amish connections here for some time. That is why I mentioned wanting a place with a sense of community. I wouldn't want to live in a place without this type of networking. When you buy local you support others off the grid, it is environmentally friendly, the products are high quality, and it is a great way to make friendships. I'm not a SHTF or survivalist type but I do enjoy and want to live outside the norm. I have to get to Lehman's some time soon. I have heard so much about the place.

Hawaii...you left out the seafood!
  6. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Off grid, yet a sense of community. Maybe Ethiopia?

African_tribes_Ethiopia5_Hamer,[1].jpg

Of course, you cannot forget to properly accessorize!

mursi-tribe-ethiopia-4.jpeg
  7. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I wouldnt mind living there "on the grid " as well. I hear they have wood stoves in the higher elevations.
    DevilsBrew likes this.
  8. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, altitude can make a huge difference. The higher up you go, the more chance of frequent clouds. It can be damp and cool (for them) on some days. The stoves are more like chill chasers for temps in the 50's.
  9. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    IF you go high enough you get snow,so it must get pretty cold.
  10. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That would be on the big island. At almost 14,000 ft, no one lives up there but scientists.

When measured from it's base, Mauna Kea is more than twice as tall as Mt. Everest!
  11. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    We drove up Haleakala (10,000ft) in January when we visited Maui 5 years ago. I remember the summit being jeans and sweatshirt weather, no snow. Probably high 40s low 50s.

The rest of the island did have about the most perfect weather I've ever experienced. One could pick a lot of worse places to live......
  12. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Dont people go up there for the sunrise or sunset,dont remember which,but that island is not as high as the big island so wont be as cold at the top.
  13. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, that is a tourist tradition up there. You can even take a tour van up at 0-dark-thirty and rent a bicycle for the ride down.