is the unit junk?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wheaty

Jan 20, 2009
Western NY
brrr baby it's cold out there

Could you tell me anything about a Pacific Western Model 100 (8 year old). I am looking to purchase it used for about a $1200. The owner says that there is a seam leak into the firebox located above the upper square tubes. He said he used it for a season, with the leak, by not filling the tank to the top. He also said the well water at his home has some sulfur. Could that have caused the leak? Could the whole tank have been attacked by the acid? I want to know if you think the leak could be repaired, or if the unit is junk.

This post would probably get more response from the "boiler room" section. I would guess that a mod will be along shortly and move it.

That being said, I would guess that the leak was probably not caused by the water. It ain't helping things, but lots of steel pipes have carried questionable well water for years. My guess is that a good welder could fix up that seam.

be carefull, well water if it is not treated, too soft/too hard, lime etc. it has the potential to corrode thru plumbing etc. I would not be suppraised that that boiler jacket is paper thin.

Don't pay good money for an 8-year old boiler with a leak. Odds are it can't be fixed and unlike the PO, you don't want to try to operate it if it has a leak. Without pressure, it will corrode out pretty quick, if it hasn't already.

Why not call around to some local welders and see if they weld old boilers. I have, and all I heard was "no way, Jose."

Oh, and even if it was in good condition, it wouldn't be worth more than $500, IMO. Check on Ebay for used Tarms.

wheaty said:
Thanks - I'll put it out of my mind.

Wheaty - good call. If Eric says step away, I step away.

Status
Not open for further replies.