Is the Vermont Castings Montpelier Eligible for Tax Credit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parkview154

Sep 19, 2012
My husband and I purchased our VC Montpelier insert last year in October. At the time, I was unaware that they had extended the tax credit for efficient wood burning stoves. Now that I know, I'm planning on filing an amended tax return to take advantage of the $300 credit for 2012.

However, the credit clearly states that only stoves with an efficiency rating of >75% are eligible for the credit. I could not find any information on VC's website about the rating for this insert so I looked for the paperwork from when I had it installed. The energy guide tag that came with the user manual has an arrow on the "efficiency" column that spans between ~59%-65% with an asterisk next to it. Under the asterisk it says "NOT TESTED FOR EFFICIENCY - The value indicated is for similar non-catalytic wood heaters".

I searched the forums and it seems that others have taken the tax credit for the VC Montpelier, but without a definite efficiency rating to go by, how do I prove that it's eligible in the event of an audit? Sorry if this question has been asked before. Thanks in advance for all your help!

I bought mine in February and I plan on taking mine..... VC website stated that the montpelier was eligible....
You should ask your accountant if you can put it towards 2013, better then amending if it is possible, good luck....

download the certificate SB provided the link above for your records, make sure the model you have is listed on the certificate , take it with you when you go to do your taxes along with reciept (you will not send these in with your taxes but will be noted on the form keep the certificate and the reciept with your records in case of audit.)

if the unit in question is eligible and was purchased in the timframe specified by the law, you should be able to claim the credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.