Is there a difference to vent out and up OR up in the room and out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana627

Jun 13, 2008
So. NH
Hi everyone, we're not getting our harman P68 until September, but my hubby doesn't like the look of the pipe so he wants the dealer to direct vent it out and up. Is there a difference on how the stove will run or which way is best. The freestanding stove will be next to my french doors in the kitchen. I read to ask the dealer to paint the pipes if we don't want the silver pipes. Has anyone painted their pipes or will the smoke damage it? Vent up in the house and out or direct vent out and up 3'.
I really enjoy these forums, and thanks for everyone's input.
Diane

We just purchased the Harman Accentra and our dealer supplied us with black Simpson pellet pipe.
We are going up in the house 5' then out, we like the look.

I believe the stove will work fine with either setup
and it's just a matter of preference - for instance, if
the stove is in the front of the house some people would
prefer not to have pipe running up the front of their home.
I also believe they can paint the pipes. Prepainted
pipe can also be purchased.

NOTE, you will have no natural draft with a direct vent. When your combustion fans stops due to a power outage you will get smoke in the house.

Be sure to buy a UPS of sufficient size to maintain the combustion fan long enough for you to take action (i.e., shut stove off to discontinue fuel).

Mine is direct vented (by choice). I knew about this issue, but didn't act timely (i.e., buy a UPS). Naturally, the power goes off in the middle of the night and the house fills with smoke. Fortunately, the outside temperature was only in the low 30's. Venting the house of the smoke took a good 20 minutes (read - opened doors and windows, brrr).

UPS purchase the next day.

TboneMan said:
NOTE, you will have no natural draft with a direct vent.

She said she'd either be going up and out from within the house,
or out the wall and up on the outside. Either way is fine.

BignBeefy said:
I had the power go out twice and had no smoke from my p68....

Direct vented out

We had smoke in the cellar twice when the power went out. direct vent.we will be going up this season.

If given a choice I'd go up inside and then out. The reasons for my choice are: 1) Your flue system will likely last longer since the majority is protected inside from the elements & 2) I'd rather have the warm flue radiating its heat inside my house rather than it being wasted outside the house. Painting the flue black not only improved the looks (IMO), but it also helps protect it and also will allow the heat to dissipate off it a little better...

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.