Is there a good reason to de-bark wood before burning?

dave11 Posted By dave11, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 29, 2008
    Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    i take mine and strip the bark off, run it over a belt sander with progressivly finer paper starting at 20 grit finishing with 2000, then use the router to carve grooves and use square dowels to construct mega firewood like the way they put together log homes. then i use a no voc varnish to achive a glass look with 8 coats, 1500 grit in between. then once thats done i put them in their custom built "wood warmer", using down comforters to make sure they stay warm.

i always make sure i am wearing my tux when i put them into the furnace.

:)

2. kenny chaos

kenny chaos
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 10, 2008
    Loc:
    Rochester,ny
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Wow . . . a debate on whether or not to burn bark-less, naked wood . . . is there a link here to the thread on talking to trees?

Firefighterjake to Maple Tree: Hey Baby . . . how ya doin' . . . I think you might be a little more comfortable if I just take off your bark . . . there you go . . . yeah baby . . . you're looking good now.

----

On a serious side . . . do folks actually have the time and inclination to strip off the bark? Egads . . . if folks have time to do this and are doing this out of a fear of bugs, "excess" moisture and more room for more wood I may suggest they consider taking up some more OCD like activities like looking for four leaf clovers in a clover field, counting cars going through an intersection or watching paint dry. Egads . . . it's all wood and it all burns . . . I mean, if it's falling off the split, sure, I might huck it into the wood, but I certainly don't have time to denude each and every stick of wood.

4. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2008
    Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Don't let your beech hear you talking to a maple like that.

5. smokinj

smokinj
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

6. Danno77

Danno77
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 27, 2008
    Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    when i split wood with my Fiskars the bark flies off of the entire round and lands 30 feet away in the flower garden in 2" size nuggets for mulch.

7. maplewood

maplewood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2008
    Loc:
    NB Canada
    If my bark can come off easily, I take it off. Loose bark holds moisture. But it it's on solid, I leave it, whether I split it or not.
    2 cents.

8. kenny chaos

kenny chaos
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Apr 10, 2008
    Loc:
    Rochester,ny
    I did a little snooping and guess what?
    I found that oaks are dying in Pa (home of orginal poster) and special procedures (including debarking) are recommended to prevent
    the spread of disease to nearby trees on nearby property.
    I also see problems in other states with elm and ash and that some municipalities 'mandate' debarking, yes, even of firewood.
    Leave the fiskars for the tool polishers and get yourselves a spud.

bodhran likes this.
  9. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I get my wood from the garage in my stocking feet in the middle of winter. When I put it in there, I look at each and every piece, brush them off, and pry off loose bark. I'm ambivalent about the whole thing and I'm sure it's not foolproof, but it's just so darn convenient.

10. Ratman

Ratman
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 11, 2009
    Loc:
    Bedford, NH
    Hey Jake I'd like to sponser you at our weekly 4-leaf clover lovers club. The meeting is in-town, Tuesday evenings at the intersection of maple and beech, you know, next to Egads Paint Store.
    I guess I just like my wood to burn clean and guess what; I have all kinds of time to do all kinds of real cool things also.

11. Inwo

Inwo
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 30, 2008
    Loc:
    Western NY
    Wow I thought that was the only one that was happening to...

12. Danno77

Danno77
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 27, 2008
    Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    nope, that's a standard feature on all Fiskars splitters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.