Is there a heating fireplace unit that doesn't smoke with doors open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c mugler

Feb 17, 2013
I live in California and am looking at units like the Montecito Estate or NZ6000 as I would like a fireplace capable of heating but my wife would like one that can be more like a traditional fireplace (at times) by operating with the doors open. Also weather is mild compared to Canada. Any recommendations on a unit that will fit both our needs. One dealer told me the high efficient units as I mentioned above really emit a lot of smoke with open door wood burning. Thanks

They all should operate without smoking when the doors are opened. If smoke rolls out, there is something wrong with the chimney. Often, the house is too tight, or the chimney is too short. Most units supply outside air to the unit to help with the tight house problem.

Smoke rolling out can happen due to a too short chimney, bad chimney location, and negative pressure in the house. None of these problems are due to the fireplace.How tall will the chimney be on this fireplace?

If you are going to the expense of a nice fireplace, look for EPA certified phase II models that use class A pipe for the chimney. You'll get a cleaner, more efficient heater and a warmer flue that will draft better.

In the Napoleon line I would consider the NZ3000 instead for these reasons. The Lennox Montecito (or BIS Tradition), RSF Opel and Kozy Z42 are also worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.