Is there a stove for just one small room?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

REF1

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2009
South West, VA
Addition going up. Bedroom/bath. Total of 385 sq ' with a slight cathedral ceiling. Is there a fire-viewing stove out there which will not cook us out? Thus far the Jotul 602 seems the only quality candidate, but even that may produce too much heat to sleep by.

Any other good candidates out there?

I saw some very small stoves used on boats, but no viewing the fire.

The Jotul F100 would be good for it but every building code in the country and every stove manual I have ever seen says that you can't put a solid fuel burning stove in a sleeping area.

The Morso squirrel is also super duper cute!

Solid fuel-burning appliances are generally not allowed in sleeping rooms. The only code exceptions I've ever seen are for very large spaces (think dormitory) that can't be completely closed off. What you're talking about is just too small a space for a solid fuel-burning appliance, IMO. Rick

Put in a nice direct vent gas stove and be happy.

I can't count how many times I have fallen asleep by my stove. Much to the wife's chagrin... but the couch is so comfortable.

Ah, yes. Codes. The all intrusive necessity of a burgeoning government controlled society. How many old homes in New England have fireplaces in each room, including bedrooms? Or chimneys with flue entrance for old Franklins in every room? I've even seen homes in the South with the same floor plans.

But codes say you can place gas and electric stoves in a bedroom? I guess the Fed just doesn't believe people are intelligent enough to burn wood in a room where a problem would be noticed 100% faster than in a room on another floor or 50 feet away.

I'd be interested to understand the specs and reasoning on this in politician's minds? I'd like to know the stats of people who perish in the night from gas related heating versus wood related heating issues.

Codes. So, folks in one room cabins can have a stove, but in a bedroom bigger than some cabins, politicians say, No stove.

I love common sense.

The Squirrel IS cute. Rated to heat 1000'. Even half that would probably cook us out.

I guess the Woodstock Cottage Mini would be the way we'd go.

REF1 said:
Ah, yes. Codes. The all intrusive necessity of a burgeoning government controlled society. How many old homes in New England have fireplaces in each room, including bedrooms? Or chimneys with flue entrance for old Franklins in every room? I've even seen homes in the South with the same floor plans.

But codes say you can place gas and electric stoves in a bedroom? I guess the Fed just doesn't believe people are intelligent enough to burn wood in a room where a problem would be noticed 100% faster than in a room on another floor or 50 feet away.

I'd be interested to understand the specs and reasoning on this in politician's minds? I'd like to know the stats of people who perish in the night from gas related heating versus wood related heating issues.

Codes. So, folks in one room cabins can have a stove, but in a bedroom bigger than some cabins, politicians say, No stove.

I love common sense.

I hear ya. Just didn't want you being surprised later. It is telling though that independent of any building codes, the people that make the stoves and the independent safety standards folks say not to do it also. Where there is this much poop, there must be a pony around somewhere.

REF1,

Check with your town building department, engineer or inspector.
It is all about safety. Is the new room a full time bedroom? Or
for another purpose? Take no shortcuts.

Yes, we sleep in homes heated by wood stoves and somewhat
occasionally at least, repeated in my case, fall asleep in our stove
rooms. I believe that the latest codes were written as such because of
direct proximity of the sleeping room occupants to an unattended stove or
fireplace. Most structure fires are caused by careless actions.

Because of these codes, more occupants wake up warm and safe, then
in years past. The result is that are much less home fires!

REF1 said:
The Squirrel IS cute. Rated to heat 1000'. Even half that would probably cook us out.
Yikes, wow. Had no idea!

The Jotul 602C will easily heat 1000 sq ft too. The problem is you want something that won't compete with you for air. Tiny stoves with outside air supply are rare.

Maybe it would be better to get a plasma TV to heat the room and run a dvd of a stove burning?

I just spent the last four nights in a single room 600 sq. ft. cabin heated by a Vogelzang boxwood stove and believe it or not I'm OK as I have been for the last couple of decades. If you live on the super regulated left coast or the similarly oppressively regulated northeast you might have trouble. If your in the heartland or the south the gov. seems more willing to let their population decide these matters for themselves. Unless the room you intend to heat is hermetically sealed I would heat as I saw fit. Using a solid common sense approach works far better in most cases thah big brother would lead you to belive.
Joe

Well, brother, I agree with that. The house is in Virginia, way back in the mountains, but I have already encountered Code City with the local county. Just statewide things now. I've been building and renovating for almost 30 years on and off, and I do what I do on the excess side of things. But every time I turn around there's a new bunch of codes to reckon with.

As far as the manufacturers stating to not place units in sleeping quarters; I have to believe that is because of codes. There is no common sense reason to tell buyers not to place a solid fuel appliance in a bedroom, when gas and electric can go in. Like I said, I would be interested to know the statistics of houses burnt down because of chimney fires or logs falling out in the living room, OR people dying from gas fumes or explosions, as measured by those who have perished from fires beginning with a stove or fireplace in a bedroom.

We always sleep with windows cracked anyway.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Maybe the Homestead will throw enough heat back there to not have to have anything else.

The plasma TV line was classic.

The internet may be new to rural America, but these codes are not new. They were in a large part brought about by firefighters getting tired of being unable to save lives or property.

BeGreen said:
The internet may be new to rural America, but these codes are not new. They were in a large part brought about by firefighters getting tired of being unable to save lives or property.
Using that rational space heaters in bedrooms should be banned as well. While internet access may not have reached rural America with the speed in which it reached you, common sense in rural America got there quickly and unlike some places that were first to receive high speed internet access, rural America seems to have done a better job in hanging on to their common sense.
Joe

BeGreen said:

What is "new" is that some municipalities are starting to enforce the codes which have been on the books . . . and as noted in the past . . . many of these codes are the direct result of a tragedy (i.e. the reason for fire doors that open outwards, contained stairwells in schools, required fire escapes, etc.) . . . if you look back you can find that these codes and required changes were not simply picked out by someone who thought they might be a good idea . . . they were what developed in the aftermath of a large loss of life fire (i.e. Coconut Grove in Boston, The Station NightClub fire, etc.)

Loss of life because of ?

I cannot put a wood stove in my bedroom because another person/ family did, and some kind of tragedy resulted? What instigated the tragedy? Appliance problem? Owner ignorance or neglect? Freak accident?

It seems logical to conclude because people crash automobiles, automobiles should be banned and everyone should use mass transit. The same logic applies to other things which can cause harm or death if misused, abused, or incorrectly manufactured. Does government ALWAYS have to be telling ALL Americans what they can and cannot do?

I'm sorry. It makes me sick.

I've heated with wood for nearly thirty years now... same stove, four different locations... six if you count different rooms in the same house.

Never have I NOT slept in the room where the stove was... unless you consider an open loft above the stove a separate room.

Of course all those locations were drafty... with plenty of makeup air.

I'm no fan of building codes, either. Another meaningless code restriction just cost me about $5K additional for a garage construction.

I say let the property owner opt out... with waivers as required... as long as one isn't contemplating a toxic waste dump on one's property, I don't see why it's anyone else's dam business.

Peter B.

-----

Status
Not open for further replies.