Is there a trick to lighting my pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ThePhotoHound said:
Robscot -

Once you actually have a fire going, do you have:

1. Slow, yellow-orange flames
2. Fast, bright yellow or white flames (like a blow torch)
3. Something in the middle

If you have #1, I think your damper may be too closed. If you have #2, I believe your damper may be too open. Either one will give you a really hard time lighting pellets. Just a thought...

We could have either one of these scenarios depending on what setting we have the stove on.
If it's set on "turbo" the flame is more like #2. If it's on a lower setting, it's probably in the middle.

Turbo mode is making the combustion blower run at full voltage, thus giving the flame a blow torch effect. That's why the manual states to put the feed rate knob just passed the off position or a #1 setting. This makes the combustion blower run at a lower RPM, Which in essence should help the fire light quicker. Also make sure you're not putting to many pellets in the burn pot. This could restrict the air flow up through the burn pot for proper combustion.

robscot said:
we didn't realize what a challenge pellet
fire starting would be. Thanks for all the ideas, we'll be trying out some of your suggestions.

That is strange, it shouldnt be that hard to get it started.
What kind of pellets are you using? Maybe you are using a bad batch. :)

FireJumper said:
Turbo mode is making the combustion blower run at full voltage, thus giving the flame a blow torch effect. That's why the manual states to put the feed rate knob just passed the off position or a #1 setting. This makes the combustion blower run at a lower RPM, Which in essence should help the fire light quicker. Also make sure you're not putting to many pellets in the burn pot. This could restrict the air flow up through the burn pot for proper combustion.

OK, now I'm completely confused. The turbo mode and the feed rate knob are the same knob,
so I don't understand how you can use Turbo mode and have the feed rate mode set to #1. If you set the feed rate
knob to #1, then it's no longer in Turbo mode. The only two controls I know about on my stove are the blower
know and feed rate knob. Am I missing something???

robscot said:
FireJumper said:

OK, now I'm completely confused. The turbo mode and the feed rate knob are the same knob,
so I don't understand how you can use Turbo mode and have the feed rate mode set to #1. If you set the feed rate
knob to #1, then it's no longer in Turbo mode. The only two controls I know about on my stove are the blower
knob and feed rate knob. Am I missing something???

I just realized you were probably talking about putting the feed knob at the #1 position
when trying to light the fire. Yes, we only put the feed rate at #1 during start up... we are not putting the
stove on Turbo when trying to light the stove.

Hammerjoe said:
robscot said:
we didn't realize what a challenge pellet
fire starting would be. Thanks for all the ideas, we'll be trying out some of your suggestions.

That is strange, it shouldnt be that hard to get it started.
What kind of pellets are you using? Maybe you are using a bad batch. :)

We are using Corinth Wood Pellets which are softwood; these are probably the
most popular selling pellets in our area. I have opened several different bags thinking maybe it
was the pellets, but it didn't matter. We just stink at starting our fire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.