Is there a way to prep this for faux stone?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul L

Sep 28, 2013
Westcliffe, CO
OK I've gone to plan B. Wanted to install a woodstove but it will project too far into my small living room. I've decided on a Quadrafire Voyager or Grand Voyager and I'm trying to find out how to get there from here. With this massive Heatilator box taking up room over the firebox and no way to anchor backer board, what am I going to have to do to prep this for Eldorado Stone? Is it doable?

I'd say it is doable. You will need to attach some steel studs to what you have there already & then attach some Dura rock 1/2"x3'x5' to those studs. You may have to get creative to make everything rigid, but I don't think it'll be an impossible task. Once you have the Dura rock secured, you can either put a scratch coat on the face or attach some steel mesh - THEN the scratch coat.

Thanks Daksy for the reply. Are you talking about running steel studs across the front of the fireplace, essentially building a new Dura Rock wall?

thanks

Paul

Thanks Daksy for the reply. Are you talking about running steel studs across the front of the fireplace, essentially building a new Dura Rock wall?

thanks

Paul

Yep. You may be able to header off those studs at the top & bottom of the opening for the insert & add Dura rock to those surfaces as a barrier to the gaps around the existing box.

Status
Not open for further replies.