Is there an brand of multi-fuel (corn and pellet) stoves that can be direct vented?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davester02

Jul 12, 2008
northeast
I am trying to save some work and it would be easier to just have one that could be direct vented.

Also is there much of an advantage to a multi fuel stove. I cannot find much information on corn in the northeast. There is a reference to a corn coop within driving distance in the archives but I cannot find any information locally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

davester02 said:
I am trying to save some work and it would be easier to just have one that could be direct vented.

Also is there much of an advantage to a multi fuel stove. I cannot find much information on corn in the northeast. There is a reference to a corn coop within driving distance in the archives but I cannot find any information locally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Me not under by the meaning of Direct vented? All corn/pellet are under forced venting (blower) thorough a 3or4 inch pipe just made for these stoves.

Most mult-fuel stoves can be direct-vented.

One of our Gold Sponsors, Magnum, specializes in stoves that burn pellets, corn, cherry pits, etc. etc. - I have one myself in my shop.

My main suggestion concerning multi-fuel stoves is that you actually talk to someone who has burned corn, etc. in them....a lot of claims are being made, and sometimes they are not 100% accurate.

What kind of Claims? I have never burned one before. But I have heard things about them? What am I hearing isnt true?

Just curious

When corn was real popular 2 years ago, every stove claimed to burn corn. We had many reports here and elsewhere that those stoves did not always do the job....in other words, it was a sales pitch.

The best course of action if one desires a multi-fuel is to look for one advertised as such and then get personal experiences from folks here, on our ratings and in the iburncorn.com forums.

web's right , a pellet stove is set up so that its air fuel properties are optimized for pellets while burning corn in one may be feasible , it will likley not perform as well as a unit that has been designed to handle both, different fuels have different properties and have different fuel air requirements. multifuels like the magnum that web mentioned , or our 10-cpm have the capability to be set for the desired fuel , its control system runs the feed and air sytstems at optimal mixture setings for the fuel selected wood pellets , corn or cherry pits. you dont get that with a standard pellet stove so best case it will not burn the other fuels as well as they could be burned , worst case , it simply wont burn it at all or keep going out

How bout Bixby multifuel stoves? I believe they have controls on them for fuel feed rate and exhaust so the fuel to air ratio can be changed to meet different fuel types. I only ever saw one once. ahona.com has them priced at 2,850 for the maxfire which I thought when I looked at them locally it was around 4K with a 3' bixby exhuast/intake straight pipe kit.

termv said:
How bout Bixby multifuel stoves? I believe they have controls on them for fuel feed rate and exhaust so the fuel to air ratio can be changed to meet different fuel types. I only ever saw one once. ahona.com has them priced at 2,850 for the maxfire which I thought when I looked at them locally it was around 4K with a 3' bixby exhuast/intake straight pipe kit.

The Bixby 115 is a direct vent stove and has fuel feed rate and exhaust adjustment trim knobs. There is also a switch to toggle between corn or wood or I should say A and B fuel. There are some other fuel tables in the stove to choose from. That requires a cable and a program and if you have them you can tailor whatever you desire. Craig mentioned another location where there is discussion about them. They are an excellent corn burner. I have have not burned enough wood pellets to make judgement on that other than I'll put a couple ton of them thru this coming season cause I've seen where others have never used anything but wood pellets. Some burn barley, wheat, and rye as well as buckwheat in them. They can handle high ash content fuel if you have the cable and program to adjust the burnpot dump cycle.

I believe Quadra's are factory approved to burn a 50-50 mix of wood and corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.