Is there any acceptable amount of creosote that can be left on the inside of the interior (inside the home) single wall stove pipe assembly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SlimTidy

Nov 12, 2014
Maryland
So I tore the chimney assembly apart last night to give it a mid season sweep. I brushed it from the roof downwards. Came in and removed the interior assembly of single wall stove pipe from the ceiling box to the stove. I turned my two elbows straight and brushed this assembly twice.

I can’t however get the last layer of baked on creosote off the inside of the pipe. It’s a thin layer of sparkly and rough creosote about 1/32-1/16 thick maybe. Is this amount of creosote just something that is inevitable and acceptable or do I need to use another method to remove it before firing up this stove again?

I wouldn’t be too concerned about using it, but is it dirty all the way down to the stove? Was it worse at the top? Do you have a thermometer on the pipe?

I wouldn’t be too concerned about using it, but is it dirty all the way down to the stove? Was it worse at the top? Do you have a thermometer on the pipe?

It was the single wall that had the creosote and it seemed consistent from the flue collar up to the ceiling box. The triple wall stainless just had soot. I don't have a thermometer on it. I am going to get one of the spinning drill type brushes and use that next tone.

The consensus seems to be that a thin layer of creosote like this isn’t anything to worry about.

Get a probe thermometer to see what temperature your at . You might want to burn a little hotter or go to double wall pipe instead of the single.

Reactions: SlimTidy
Yes, the whip type is more aggressive.
Absolutely need a thermometer on that pipe.
If you are using a flue pipe damper keep it open and control with just the air intake adjustment until you get a thermometer on it.

Reactions: SlimTidy