Is there any danger in storing wood near a house/garage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mts3740

May 19, 2009
Tennessee
It seems the more I learn the less I know! At least that's what my wife tells me. I would like to build a wood storage area. I'm considering attaching an overhang to my garage and pouring a concrete slab to stack wood on. My main concern is termites, ants etc... With all things being equal (cost, convenience, appearance) what is the most desirable solution?

I have two sheds. One is under a 4 x 32 overhang along the house and the other is a 10 x 20 overhang on the back of the garage. Both are on asphalt pitched away from the building. I haven't had any problems with bugs but have a high, dry and windy lot and also dry the wood before moving it into the sheds.

The biggest danger might be making it too easy to grab wood and heat the house, stay warm, get lazy, forget to cut more wood, freeze, scavenge the furniture for firewood, and then move south. lol. :)

What is the garage made of? Wood? i think there is always some danger of termites, ants, or just annoying bugs like earwigs, pill bugs, slugs, etc. in the woodpile. That is one good reason to keep wood away from the house. One the other hand, it would be nice to have4 the firewood close to the house. In my oipinion, storing wood close to the house isn't ideal, but lots of people do it and seem happy with the arrangement.

I stack my wood probably 30' away from my house. I do bring a little less then a face cord into the garage at a time which lasts about a week.

I think it depends alot on your location and the bug and rodent problems in your area. Where I am in Northern IL carpenter ants termites and mice are a problem and most people keep wood 30' from the house. I know there will be a mouse nest or two in any woodpile that sits for a month or longer and carpenter and are also common as I live in a wooded area along a river with quite a few undeveloped acres.
The question is how active are these pests in your area and are you going to put only well dried wood there or any wood. The carpenter and and termites need moisture the mice just need cover.
I would be more inclined to go off a unattached garage with only dry wood and keep it a couple feet from the wall using this space to put out some snacks for the mice and bug stuff like ortho max to help prevent problems.

Call your home owner insurance co, they have safety tips for your area. Some areas even have rules.
Wild fire rules for my area, highly recommended to be 30' or so away.
I know my cat loves to sit on the woodpile & hunt mice. Better to have it away from the house IMHO.

Here in cny folks will store wood like you intend to but we have a dormant season for bugs and don't have termites. I would check with my wood burning friends and neighbors down there and see what they recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.