Is there any new news on the Mt. Vernon E2 problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading this and feel awful for you guys especially in the low temps we have had. HHT owns harman as well if your unsatisfied with the their fixes,I would push for a replacement stove.
We looked at the harden xxv as the replacement for the e2 but it didn't heat the space needed. Quadrafire agreed to pay the difference from the e2 to ae and the installment with new warranty. I just hope we don't have any more problems.

Danni I just got back from my stove dealer and got to talk to a few folks about there AE models and they really like them a lot, I think you will to, sorry you were another unfortunate owner of the E2,

Jeff

We looked at the harden xxv as the replacement for the e2 but it didn't heat the space needed. Quadrafire agreed to pay the difference from the e2 to ae and the installment with new warranty. I just hope we don't have any more problems.

Hi Danni. Thanks for posting the problems you've experienced with the Quadrafire Mt. Vernon E2. I too have a Mt. Vernon E2. Ours is a pellet insert we had installed 2 days before Christmas 2014 replacing our propane gas insert. (This is the first pellet stove we've ever had/owned as well.)

During the first week running it the flame was very lazy and most of the glass on the front would be covered in black ash/soot. I had the installer come back out and they looked at the blower motor and changed the trim adjustment dial from -2 to 0. (Which is what the Owner's manual shows it set to in Figure 12.1 on page 12: http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/7080_132.pdf ) After that adjustment the soot had lessened on the front glass and the flame seemed to be more intense. The last adjustment I made, last week, was to +2 which had decreased the black soot to just the boarders of the glass and the pellets seem to be burning more efficiently.

The reason I found this blog, and this post specifically, is because I came home and my stove was beeping. Had to look it up in the manual to see that the remote has lost connectivity with the stove. The excerpt below is from the manual, and the note is interesting seeing as we haven't replaced the remote and it sits 15 ft away from the stove on the counter,

"Remote Thermostat: Signal
2. If the remote thermostat falls out of signal range for over 2 hours or has no battery power the receiver will emit a communication Safety Error Code consisting of a series of rapid "beeps" ...

Note: Unless damaged or remote component is replaced the receiver will maintain its communication link to its transmitter for many years.
" (pg 13 Owner's Manual 7080-132D)​

Looking back over the last 9 weeks of owning it I have seen many of the similar problems posted on this thread. I've had pellet feed rate issues and now this remote connectivity issue. I clean the stove regularly as outlined in the manual. One thing I think is a nuisance is trying to line up the baffle latches after cleaning behind the baffle when you are putting it back and replacing the latches. The latches are not wide enough to compensate for the gap the baffle has between the sides of the stove housing. If you don't line the baffle up exactly right one of those latches slips into that gap and is not applying pressure to hold up it's side of the baffle. (Design flaw or I'm doing it wrong...)

I too received the call from Quadrafire, and yesterday received the letter in the mail to schedule replacement the circuit board. I'm very nervous now seeing your glass photo of it being blown. :(

Here are a couple of photos from the first couple of weeks before the trim adjustment has been increased to where it is today.
Full-pellets.jpg Ash tray.jpg

This was a big investment and I had done a lot of research talking to other owners and online. Now I'm questioning the decision.

facepalm.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Danni. Thanks for posting the problems you've experienced with the Quadrafire Mt. Vernon E2. I too have a Mt. Vernon E2. Ours is a pellet insert we had installed 2 days before Christmas 2014 replacing our propane gas insert. (This is the first pellet stove we've ever had/owned as well.)

During the first week running it the flame was very lazy and most of the glass on the front would be covered in black ash/soot. I had the installer come back out and they looked at the blower motor and changed the trim adjustment dial from -2 to 0. (Which is what the Owner's manual shows it set to in Figure 12.1 on page 12: http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/7080_132.pdf ) After that adjustment the soot had lessened on the front glass and the flame seemed to be more intense. The last adjustment I made, last week, was to +2 which had decreased the black soot to just the boarders of the glass and the pellets seem to be burning more efficiently.

The reason I found this blog, and this post specifically, is because I came home and my stove was beeping. Had to look it up in the manual to see that the remote has lost connectivity with the stove. The excerpt below is from the manual, and the note is interesting seeing as we haven't replaced the remote and it sits 15 ft away from the stove on the counter,

"Remote Thermostat: Signal
2. If the remote thermostat falls out of signal range for over 2 hours or has no battery power the receiver will emit a communication Safety Error Code consisting of a series of rapid "beeps" ...

Note: Unless damaged or remote component is replaced the receiver will maintain its communication link to its transmitter for many years.
" (pg 13 Owner's Manual 7080-132D)​

Looking back over the last 9 weeks of owning it I have seen many of the similar problems posted on this thread. I've had pellet feed rate issues and now this remote connectivity issue. I clean the stove regularly as outlined in the manual. One thing I think is a nuisance is trying to line up the baffle latches after cleaning behind the baffle when you are putting it back and replacing the latches. The latches are not wide enough to compensate for the gap the baffle has between the sides of the stove housing. If you don't line the baffle up exactly right one of those latches slips into that gap and is not applying pressure to hold up it's side of the baffle. (Design flaw or I'm doing it wrong...)

I too received the call from Quadrafire, and yesterday received the letter in the mail to schedule replacement the circuit board. I'm very nervous now seeing your glass photo of it being blown. :(

Here are a couple of photos from the first couple of weeks before the trim adjustment has been increased to where it is today.
View attachment 154934 View attachment 154936

This was a big investment and I had done a lot of research talking to other owners and online. Now I'm questioning the decision.

View attachment 154937
I would personally suggest getting rid of it. Ours was great for the first month, after the glass it was all down hill. They called saying to keep the air flow at -4 to prevent any dangerous things from happening.... The glass. But in our case it was to late and it tunred out our air flow switch was bad anyway... The blue circle would turn all the around with end in sight do you could never really know what setting it was at regardless of what the arrow was pointed to. Even the display model in the shop did this but quardrafire said its not supposed to.
After they came back and replaced not only the airflow switch but computer board on Valentine's day.. Before the letter even came out saying they would do it, within 6 hours it lost communication with the remote and we placed out remote abot 5 feet away because I was tired of it shutting off and thought that would stop it. So the new computer board did nothing.mu biggest concern with keeping the e2 and th replacing what they thouht was the problem was there were to many trial and errors and band aid patches on something I really only got to use for 1 month and paid $5000 for and should I have all the same trouble next winter I would be in trouble cause now I would have no warranty for service visits or on all parts. So my dealer worked well with me and as hard as they could to get quad to agree to take the e2 and replace with ae free of charge to me. We have had it running since they left yesteday and it hasn't shut off since so that to me is a great thing already.
Just don't wait till your warranty is no good.

Danni I just got back from my stove dealer and got to talk to a few folks about there AE models and they really like them a lot, I think you will to, sorry you were another unfortunate owner of the E2,

Jeff
Hey Jeff. I can't complain about it so far, it's been since 3pm yesterday and right now it's just abot 630 and I have had the ae shut of on me... The e2 would have twice by now! So finger crossed.

I would personally suggest getting rid of it. Ours was great for the first month, after the glass it was all down hill. They called saying to keep the air flow at -4 to prevent any dangerous things from happening.... The glass. But in our case it was to late and it tunred out our air flow switch was bad anyway... The blue circle would turn all the around with end in sight do you could never really know what setting it was at regardless of what the arrow was pointed to. Even the display model in the shop did this but quardrafire said its not supposed to.
After they came back and replaced not only the airflow switch but computer board on Valentine's day.. Before the letter even came out saying they would do it, within 6 hours it lost communication with the remote and we placed out remote abot 5 feet away because I was tired of it shutting off and thought that would stop it. So the new computer board did nothing.mu biggest concern with keeping the e2 and th replacing what they thouht was the problem was there were to many trial and errors and band aid patches on something I really only got to use for 1 month and paid $5000 for and should I have all the same trouble next winter I would be in trouble cause now I would have no warranty for service visits or on all parts. So my dealer worked well with me and as hard as they could to get quad to agree to take the e2 and replace with ae free of charge to me. We have had it running since they left yesteday and it hasn't shut off since so that to me is a great thing already.
Just don't wait till your warranty is no good.
Just for the forums sake since I don't own a Quad, are you getting sufficient heat from the replacement AE ?

Wow, After reading this post from beginning to end I am so glad that I purchased my Harman this past fall. I was so close to buying the Quad. I wanted the ability to burn multi bio fuels but ended up deciding on the Harman. What sold me on the Harman was the ease of maintenance and the dealer favored the Harman but also thought the Quad was just as good. I hope this gets figured out for all the Quad owner because this is a big investment.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Danni good luck with your AE you certainly deserve good fortune for sure, let us know down the road how your still making out

Stay warm

Jeff

I don't mean to judge. Any pellet stove can experience problems if regular maintenance isn't followed. Sometimes in (warmer weather 40+ degrees) I have vacuumed my stove every day. A clean stove will always perform better.
It varies with the stove model. I ran our Quad 1200i for 5 yrs. Cleaned it every other week when burning a bag a day and every week when burning 2 bags a day. The Quad heated well without issues. Burned only good quality pellets. Mostly Lignetics softwood or Blazers.

We cleaned ours every week. Cleaning it like brand new every week. Once the glass exploded and the every day issues occurred, we had no choice but to clean the fire pot and ash tray 3-4 times a day because the amount of pellets that would jam would be greater than 2 cups full. Trust me when I say that the issues we had with the e2 had nothing to do with not cleaning it. This model spent more time being cleaned each day than it actually was running for each day

It;s a shame you have to explain yourself over and over because you purchased a faulty stove. I hope this doesn't sour your enjoyment from your stove in the future.

I don't mean to judge. Any pellet stove can experience problems if regular maintenance isn't followed. Sometimes in (warmer weather 40+ degrees) I have vacuumed my stove every day. A clean stove will always perform better.

Steve I just hope you don't end up with glass all over your floor/ you too. This had nothing to do with how often the stove was cleaned.
The tech said we were cleaning ours WAY more often than should be necessary.
Good luck with your E2.

Reactions: stevedc3
The ae was no good for you?
Our house is about 2000sq.

No it hasn't worked for us. Our ancient and faulty Whitman is putting out more heat.

The tech came and changed a part last week and it's slightly better and at least going through fewer pellets, but this is an ongoing PITA for us.

We've asked them to come and pull it out and give us a full refund. I am just so done.

Whats the issue with the old Whitfield?

Whats the issue with the old Whitfield?

The moment their installer reinstalled it in our living room it stopped working. It feeds pellets twice and then shuts down. No one can figure out why.
Of course Wood Heat wants nothing to do with that because it was between their installer and us. The installer happily took our $400 knowing it didn't work when he left. An expensive lesson for us.

Wood Heat did say that if this room were properly heated it would help support the AE so they offered to sell us a used Castille.
They ended up offering us a 2003 with no surround for $1500 plus surround cost.

I laughed.

I have an e2 insert that I got installed this year and all of these issues are making me regret my decision to purchase this model. The main selling point between the ae and e2 for me was the remote thermostat included which is almost worthless because I have to keep it so close to the stove or it loses connection and sometimes loses it if its on the mantel directly above. I've had the feed jam issues though not as much as others, and the move to air trim -4 has helped with that but has dropped my heat output considerably. Im also curious about what the changes to the control board do? Will this affect btus or efficiency making it not the specs that I purchased? I hate that I cant trust this large investment to start with my daughter in the same room or use the thermostat to control it while im not home.

The new control board was supposed to be what fixes all the jams and communication problems. But like I said after 6 hrs of having the new control board installed we had the same issues. Even running the unit in the manual mode if the blower was turned in more thAn medium it would jam with pellets. The ae still has a remote, but it has a wire attached to it that comes from the stove.kind of like a phone cable. Its actually a programable thermostate. We loved the e2 when it worked and that lasted a month. I would fight to change it before your warranty does not cover service calls.

I have an e2 insert that I got installed this year and all of these issues are making me regret my decision to purchase this model. The main selling point between the ae and e2 for me was the remote thermostat included which is almost worthless because I have to keep it so close to the stove or it loses connection and sometimes loses it if its on the mantel directly above. I've had the feed jam issues though not as much as others, and the move to air trim -4 has helped with that but has dropped my heat output considerably. Im also curious about what the changes to the control board do? Will this affect btus or efficiency making it not the specs that I purchased? I hate that I cant trust this large investment to start with my daughter in the same room or use the thermostat to control it while im not home.
Thats understandable, I mean there really are not very many people around who like not getting what they paid for. You have the stove but with compromising circumstances surrounding it. How could you like that ? Best we can say is either wait for Quads upgrades or contact your dealer and see what else could be worked out.

Yea I know I have reached out to both my dealer and when they didnt respond in three days I wrote an email to quad directly. I guess I was just ranting because im a bit alarmed.
Yep, we get it !!

Had a GE dishwasher that I finally discovered had been burning down houses for 25 years and was recalled in the eighties. I had just never used the heated dry feature that was defective. Discovered the recall searching for a part to repair it and It went out of the house the next day. GE said they would give me $80 toward their highest priced one. No thank ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.