Is there any practical way of processing an Oak tree this dang huge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a little nervous when I can't do my back cut in one swipe (its just me), that is why the pro was called in for one cut.
I posted photos here about two years ago, of a 44" DBH ash I took down with my 28" bar. The left-handed back-cut was made standing in a tight corner, with no real direction for escape... definite pucker factor. I had three such trees inside of a year, which was why I went and bought a 36" bar for the 064. With the longer bar, there are fewer back cuts that I can't make from one side.

Reactions: Jags
I forgot to mention, the slabbing technique produces oodles of noodles. This was from just two or three rounds:

image.jpg

That fire pit is 7 feet in diameter, so the pile must've close to 3 feet high. Easily disposed, though:

image.jpg

Looks like 16s are highlighted, so about 4'...not DBH though...;)

I could have had this monster afew years ago, but passed.
DSC06839.JPG DSC06842.JPG

Reactions: Drvn4wood
Can't seem to make out the numbers on the tape measure ;)
It taped out at 47" right there. It was only marginally smaller than that at DBH. It just didn't have much flair out at the base.
I will be honest though - I live in flat country, so no hills.;lol

Reactions: HDRock
Wow the roots on that thing must go for miles!

Well finally got a start on the monster tree. Don't think we even made a dent in the old girl but needed some wood to burn now, something to mix in with the seasoned wood we have but are going to run short on. Don't have a moisture meter but it's on fire in about 5-10 on a small bed coals. I call this stuff daytime wood, something we toss a handful in the insert and enjoy.

24ez5sz.jpg

xkt3xt.jpg

Reactions: HDRock
Looks like an excuse to buy a new, large saw to me.

I have a Stihl 066 that I use to cut big wood like this. I get what others pass on. I prefer the large rounds. That's where the wood is.

Bucking large is hella fun. Splitting large... not so much.

Reactions: jeff_t
Looks like an excuse to buy a new, large saw to me.

I have a Stihl 066 that I use to cut big wood like this. I get what others pass on. I prefer the large rounds. That's where the wood is.

Sounds like a plan.

Thats a big tree for sure. I have a large oak to cut up myself and I'm thinking of noodling the trunk first then cutting the round. This way I have 2 or 3 piece's dropping off the trunk vs. one large round. which could roll, or worse, land cut side down then I have to try and muscle the round onto it's side to noodle.

If anyone thinks thats a bad idea tell me now.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
this will split them by driving over to log and setting on top of large rounds then start slicing down
20130620_075319

you can see the 30 ton splitter on bottom that is run from in cab and no lifting needed.
Once down to smaller splits that can be man handled I use top splitter

20130222_112045_resized.jpg

That big Oak should heat your place for some time! It's too cold and the growing seasons are too short for most trees to grow that big up here but I'd like the challenge even though I don't have a tractor to help move the big pieces around.

Excavator- that's a splitter I've never seen before and I'm sure it'd work great for the big rounds like the ones on this thread!

This is definitely worth it. Get a big enough saw & bar and process it as any other tree, just on a bigger scale. If the rounds are too big to split by hand, noodle them into more manageable pieces. That is way too much free wood to pass up! Especially oak.

I used to live in BC and cut dead standing Douglas Fir trees, and a lot of them were up to this size. The only difference I can see is that oak will be a harder to split. I miss these big trees, my big saws generally sit unused now.

Reactions: woodsmaster
I used to live in BC and cut dead standing Douglas Fir trees, and a lot of them were up to this size. The only difference I can see is that oak will be a harder to split. I miss these big trees, my big saws generally sit unused now.
The main issue with big oak is actually weight. I recall having single rounds in excess of 1500 lb on an oak I processed in 2012.

The main issue with big oak is actually weight. I recall having single rounds in excess of 1500 lb on an oak I processed in 2012.
You could get hurt easily if something goes or moves wrong with that much weight! Not to mention trying to get it to move. I'd love to have a tractor!

I processed oak which someone had already bucked into 18-20" lengths. These were rounds 36-48" across - a big oak. We got it out of the spot the only way we could without some kind of lift and no way of rolling it up a steep incline - sledge and wedge. If you need to move them, bring a 10lbs hammer and several wedges. Split them into 8th's, 12th's, 16th's, whatever's manageable that you can pick up and put into your truck for later.

Man, it's a satisfying feeling when those big ones split for the 1st time. Just start on the outside, only a few inches in for your first wedge. I don't care how good the wedge, how heavy the hammer, or how strong the man swinging it.... start at the edge.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I should try this, Whitepine. I seem to get a lot of very large stuff, and my method for dealing with this stuff is to noodle it into slabs and then split the slabs on my hydraulic splitter set for vertical splitting. It works, and it's fun spewing all those noodles with a big saw, but it's wasteful, messy, and inefficient. I like your idea better.

Status
Not open for further replies.