Is there any practical way of processing an Oak tree this dang huge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this will split them by driving over to log and setting on top of large rounds then start slicing down
20130620_075319

you can see the 30 ton splitter on bottom that is run from in cab and no lifting needed.
Once down to smaller splits that can be man handled I use top splitter

20130222_112045_resized.jpg
Ya have her a coat of fresh paint for picture day, she's perty!!

I should try this, Whitepine. I seem to get a lot of very large stuff, and my method for dealing with this stuff is to noodle it into slabs and then split the slabs on my hydraulic splitter set for vertical splitting. It works, and it's fun spewing all those noodles with a big saw, but it's wasteful, messy, and inefficient. I like your idea better.
Ya I do too! Sometimes ya gotta go deeper depends what you are splitting but most times just enough
to break the strain of the round and it parts easy. Try it you will like it I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.