Is There Anyone From Europe On This Board?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It must be good because at least two very major pellet mills in Georgia ship 100% of their output to Europe. With gasoline at $8 a gallon, I can only imagine what their heating oil is. I've been there many times but no one I know has a pellet stove. Most in France that I know heat with electric since France has an abundance of nuke plants. Imagine that!

pete324rocket said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
You might want to send Stovensen a PM via https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/cost/messages/pm/19875/

I'm sure Bo can at least answer that question for the part of Europe he is in.

Smokey the Bear..are you the moderator?

No pete324rocket I am not the moderator, but with the chances of your post being buried on about page 5 of the forum I thought you might like to at least get a bit of the information you are looking for.

Hi folks,

This is a very interesting thread and I'll be happy to give you my version from this side of the Atlantic Ocean :lol:

Pellet prices haven't changed since last winter when we discussed it here in this forum:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/54100/

And roughly we may still conclude that pellets cost 30 to 40% more here in Europe than in the US.

Gasoline, however, has become a lot more expensive since last winter. tjnamtiw mentions $8 a gallon ( in France ? ) ... let's see, I paid DKK 11.65 a litre the other day ( 95 octane ) . One US gallon is 3.79 litres. One $ is 5.40 DKK p.t. That's $8.18 a gallon :shut:

What's the price a gallon ( 95 octane ) in the US?

Luckily I have a very economical car and thanks to research on the internet, I recently discovered a way to boost fuel-economy a bit ( up to 30% depending on fuel quality )... by adding 2.3 promille acetone in the tank something "magic" happens... this is what happens:

Acetone improves the fuel's ability to vaporize completely by eliminating the surface tension that causes an increase in particulate vaporization temperature

Please read more here:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

I started using acetone some months ago and I have noticed that it's easier to start the engine and it certainly has become more responsive when I step on the pedal.

Bo

In that thread,you mentioned that pellet use was fairly new and I was under the impression that is was much more widespread than that. We send huge amounts of pellets somewheres in your direction,and I am wondering if you have any way of knowing who is bagging and selling them and knowing their origin. Any idea about soft/hardwood blends,are the bags marked as such? I can see how high prices for fossil have affected the choice of fuel for heat. Forested land is a valuable resource for sure.

Stovenson,
European 95 octane is equal to our 92/93.
I used to use acetone but it is incompatible with E10. (10% ethanol 90% gas).
It allows for a more complete and cleaner burn which reduces residual oxygen in the exhaust. The o2 sensor picks up on the missing oxygen and leans the mixture = less gas used.

Is diesel power as common there as in italy?

I don't use any of it anymore, gains don't justify the trouble and if you stop using it you will find it does cut engine power output a little.
Could make the difference for someone who needs to pass smog.

pete324rocket said:
In that thread,you mentioned that pellet use was fairly new and I was under the impression that is was much more widespread than that. We send huge amounts of pellets somewheres in your direction,and I am wondering if you have any way of knowing who is bagging and selling them and knowing their origin. Any idea about soft/hardwood blends,are the bags marked as such? I can see how high prices for fossil have affected the choice of fuel for heat. Forested land is a valuable resource for sure.

The pellets I use are softwood only and premium quality ( 6 mm ). No clinkers, some ash, but very high heat output... at that price they ought to be good ;-P Hardwood pellets are very rare. Haven't tried them yet.

Since I live in a flat in the center of a city, I don't have much storage facility ( 15 bags max. ), so I buy them in small quantities in a local hardware shop. Not the most economical way, I know. On the bags it's written that they are importred by this company:

http://www.bmbimport.dk/produkter/traepiller/-traepiller.html

Their website does not inform us where in the world the pellets are produced, but as you can see, they use the canadian maple leaf as a logo, so maybe they're from Canada? This website url is all there's written on the bags, too bad really.

I can get some very cheap pellets from eastern Europe, but they should be avoided, since they may be contaminated by the highly radioactive isotope Caesium 137 from the Chernobyl disaster in 1986.

Bo

kettensäge said:
Stovenson,
European 95 octane is equal to our 92/93.
I used to use acetone but it is incompatible with E10. (10% ethanol 90% gas).
It allows for a more complete and cleaner burn which reduces residual oxygen in the exhaust. The o2 sensor picks up on the missing oxygen and leans the mixture = less gas used.

Is diesel power as common there as in italy?

I don't use any of it anymore, gains don't justify the trouble and if you stop using it you will find it does cut engine power output a little.
Could make the difference for someone who needs to pass smog.

So, does that mean that all gasoline sold in the US now is E10 or do you have a choice at the gas station?
Here in Denmark the E10 pumps are normally marked with a green logo/label and it's a bit more expensive.

Yes, I do know that E10 gas is incompatible with acetone, so I only use the normal unleaded 95 octane when driving with the acetone addition.

BTW, Kettensäge... what was your results ( savings ) when you used the acetone?

Diesel power:

The EU wants to get rid of all the old fashioned diesels without particle filter, so since last year a quite high extra tax has to be paid if you want to continue to drive an old dino-diesel.

The modern common rail types (HDI) with particle filter and stuff are very popular here in Denmark, too. I see/hear :shut: them everywhere, but I stick to my gasoline powered car ( much cheaper to repair ).

As for the more exact number of diesel powered cars in the various states of the EU... I don't know, but those figures should be available somewhere on the internet.

Bo

Bo,
I would estimate 98% of the gas sold here is E10. There are a few stations here and there that don't sell it but they are somewhat rare.
State law varies widely as far as labeling is concerned. Here in PA labels are not required and state "May contain up to 10% ethanol" These are only about 2"by 2", No visual difference in actual pump decoration.
Refiners here also sell the E10 to stations at a $.10 discount VS. straight gas, a good incentive to sell it and deterrent to sell non E10.
Most people here don't worry about the ethanol content or it's impact on mileage and say there is no difference. It costs me 2MPG in my truck.
There are now no more stations in my area that I know of that don't sell E10. The last one changed to E10 in October.

My savings were about 1.5 MPG or 10% using acetone. When I stopped I noticed more power at the expense of super smooth idling and pedal response, just like you mentioned.

I got to go to Italy on company business twice in the past 2 years. I traveled with 6 to 7 people and rented a large passenger van both times, A Fiat Ducato. Very surprised to see a 2.5 liter diesel under the hood, 6 speed manual. It was no power house by any means compared to anything I currently drive, but got a consistant 25 MPG fully loaded at 130 KM per hour on the Autostrada.
And Biodiesel was also availble at gas stations.

this a.m. got 93 octane @ $3.319/gal........was really hoping to pay $3.359 but no such luck....maybe next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.