Is there anything bigger then a Summit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
One month away from moving into the new house, with no stove there at all. I plan to have a hearth built, and have a stove put in. Ca-ching!

We are a young couple, so money is kind of an issue, but i'm willing to drop some serious coin to have one, good stove that stays there forever.

This is a 2,200 square foot house, with an unfinished basement. I plan on putting the stove on the main floor living room. Pretty open floor plan.

The house is pretty tight, new windows and insulation.

I want the biggest stove I can get. I'm scared of putting something too small in, and not getting the heat I want out of it.

I really have my eye on the PE Summit, I like the looks, and the price. It says it's rated for 3000 square feet, so more like 2000. Is there any bigger stove out there then the Summit?

D/F said:
One month away from moving into the new house, with no stove there at all. I plan to have a hearth built, and have a stove put in. Ca-ching!

We are a young couple, so money is kind of an issue, but i'm willing to drop some serious coin to have one, good stove that stays there forever.

This is a 2,200 square foot house, with an unfinished basement. I plan on putting the stove on the main floor living room. Pretty open floor plan.

The house is pretty tight, new windows and insulation.

I want the biggest stove I can get. I'm scared of putting something too small in, and not getting the heat I want out of it.

yes there is hearthstone equinox there is blaze king also both good stoves... but price is likely a lot more... at least for the equinox
but thats 4 ft box ... i have a summit with a semi difficult floor plan and it gets the job done... the key though is my summit and any other wood stove loves dry wood .... there is a huge diff in burn time heat output when i am using good dry wood!! so start getting your wood now
good luck

I really have my eye on the PE Summit, I like the looks, and the price. It says it's rated for 3000 square feet, so more like 2000. Is there any bigger stove out there then the Summit?

D/F how big is the firebox on that summit?

The QF5700 has a 3.5cf box that will take a 24" log. And the Englander 30NC has a 3.44 box that will accept a 20" log...I'm no expert but I know that cause we're interested in both those stoves.

If you're only interested in cat stoves I dunno but I would check out the blazeking models for comparisons too. The 'WOW' factor on both those cat stoves is way up there from what I've read around here.

I'm not one of the great thinker's but imo the biggest fire box will keep a hotter fire.... longer.

I was at a stove shop the other day and they had a Country Flame with a 3.9 cu ft firebox, it was HUGE! Big cat stove equals long burn time.

Yes there are larger stoves, but in western Oregon, in a 2200 sq ft house, bigger than a Summit is overkill. We're north of you running the T6 in a 2000 sq ft old farmhouse. It does a fine job. The secret is dry wood, fir, madrona, maple, oak or similar species - not a giant stove. But if you want a budget big stove put in an Englander 30NC @ 3.5 cu ft.

FWIW, it would be much better to seal up leaks than try to run a bigger stove. If you get too large a stove, fall and spring season burning might be a pain.

Weld two Summits together.

i dont know much about it but the hearthstone equinox is supposed to be a hotrod but im sure its not the budget buy youre hoping for

There's a steel mill in Steubenville shut down a lot of their operations...might be able to pick up the #2 blast furnace at a discount. Also shut down a few 100 MMBtu/hr boilers that you might be able to convert to wood...

There is a Restaurant and a Motel (2 separate buildings with a road between them) in Mifflintown PA that gets all their heat/hot water from one common wood furnace located in the restaurant. My brother helped with the installation. They load it with stacks of 8' logs using a forklift onto a conveyor system. That might keep your tootsies toasty : )

Once you hit three cubic feet. They all are classified as a large stoves. Buck makes one that's 4.4 cubic feet.

I think once you get in that size range, you will be fine with any of them.

If you like the Summit and the price is right get it. If you want to save some money get an Englander 30. Other than that, most of the other big stoves are really pricey.

Might wanna consider what BeGreen mentions in post 4.

Give us an idea of how cold it gets during the winter in your neck of the woods. That will help these guys help you figure out what size you need.

Size does matter btw ;o)

Surprised this wasn't posted yet: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/wscompf.htm

In terms of firebox size, Hearthstone's Mansfield and Equinox are larger. Both get rave reviews on this site from users... Obviously this isn't a complete listing of stoves out there. Do factor in the wood consumption (heeding BG's note above) - if you have a big box to fill, you're gonna fill it, and you're gonna go thru the wood faster...

I don't know what stove would suit you, but if it was me, I would install the stove in the basement if I could.
The last house I heated with wood had the stove in a family room in the basement and I was able to heat the whole house (heat rises). It was great, but it often got too warm to spend much time in that room. If you try to heat a larger house with one large stove (especially a large stove) it is likely going to be uncomfortably warm in the room where the stove is.
Also if you put the stove in the floor above the basement your basement will always be cold without supplemental heating of some kind.

Just a thought :)

Is 4.27 sq ft enough? I run a blaze king classic and love it. It can be dampered down for long low burns or cranked up for a hot and faster burn. In Oregon you could easily get all the heat you need and 12 hr burn times. I am from Oregon and curently liveing in North Pole Alaska.

Carbon_Liberator said:
I don't know what stove would suit you, but if it was me, I would install the stove in the basement if I could.
The last house I heated with wood had the stove in a family room in the basement and I was able to heat the whole house (heat rises). It was great, but it often got too warm to spend much time in that room. If you try to heat a larger house with one large stove (especially a large stove) it is likely going to be uncomfortably warm in the room where the stove is.
Also if you put the stove in the floor above the basement your basement will always be cold without supplemental heating of some kind.

OP has an UNFINISHED basement, so he would be throwing away heat. BeGreen is a wise man. If I had your size house and location I would be looking at an Alderlea T6.

myzamboni said:
Carbon_Liberator said:

OP has an UNFINISHED basement, so he would be throwing away heat. BeGreen is a wise man. If I had your size house and location I would be looking at an Alderlea T6.

Heating a cold basement and having a nice warm floor and even heat in my house is not throwing away heat in my book, but each to his own.

Burn safe :)

Carbon_Liberator said:
myzamboni said:
Carbon_Liberator said:

Heating a cold basement and having a nice warm floor and even heat in my house is not throwing away heat in my book, but each to his own.

When the floor and walls take away 30% plus of the created heat it is throwing it away(in my book)

myzamboni said:
Carbon_Liberator said:
myzamboni said:
Carbon_Liberator said:

When the floor and walls take away 30% plus of the created heat it is throwing it away(in my book)

Just curious, how do you come up with 30%?

Are we talking about just and unfinished basement, or an uninsulated basement? Can it be insulated? (probably a good idea in either case)
Will it ever be used at all, or is there some issue why it will never be finished or used?
Is access with wood difficult or easy?
Lots of factors to consider, I don't have all the answers, I'm just tossing out ideas, I hope that is what this forum is all about?

Stay warm :)

FWIW i always recommend having a stove in the living area , now a furnace which would be plumbed into existing ductwork is a diferent matter and should be locate din a basement, it doesnt so much waste heat as most of it is directed into the living space through the ducting. but my rule of thumb is if you dont live in your basement dont put the stove there. especially if unfinished or uninsulated. concrete and block walls which are exposed outside on one side and inside on the other act as a heat sink, they hold cold and are dense so it takes a lot of time and BTU's to bring them to temp.

one of my other little habits is to recommend that if heating an uninsulated basement , add a minimum of 50% to the rated square footage to the actual square footage to assist in proper sizing for the job. a 1K sq ft rated stove will likley not heat a 1K sq ft uninsulated basement. but wold handle an insulated space that size in most every case.

a made up case in point:

say we have a house 1500 sq ft upstairs , average insulation, plus a 700 sq ft uninsulated basement, gives us 2200 sq ft. a stove rated at 2200 sq ft is likley not going to heat that basement as well as the house above , however , an add on furnace would keep a little heat in the basement and still easily heat the upstairs , so it would be a good choice. the other good choice would be a 1500 to 1800 rated stove upstairs. the basement is not likley to get cold enough to cause burst pipes or any other maladys and with a blanket of insulation in the joists the floors wouldnt be cold and would warm even from an upstairs stove. so heating the living space in my opinion is better done when the heat is in the living space.

OTOH a stove in this basement would have to be able to heat at least 3K sq ft and that heat would have to effectively travel upstairs in most cases through the solid floor (which if insulated would not be as effective), and the open basement stairway.
and as stated before , it would have to be run for a time without any appreciable gain upstairs as it heated the basement and all the thermal mass of the concrete up first.

My office is in an unfinished basement of 1,000 sq. ft. I have a Jotul F3CB there rated for up to 1,300 sq. ft. and on most mornings the place is 59 degrees. I fire it up around six in the morning and run the crap out and by noon, maybe, the half that I have loosely closed off is up to 70 degrees. Maybe. And the heat that gets up the stairway to the house is minuscule. Of course I am warm by six thirty because I have the front of the stove aimed at my desk and the radiant heat fixes me right up. I wouldn't want to be sitting across the room though.

Miss reloading it by a half hour and the temp down there drops like a rock.

Big fire box = Good
Put the stove where you are the most and can see and enjoy it. That's all I got to say. lol
638.gif

The basement is unfinshed, bare walls, nothing in them. And it's mostly under ground. It would be a bear to heat. The door that goes to the basement is in the rear of the kitchen, a ways away from the living area, and the upstairs. I don't think it would be a good spot.

I love to watch the fire, and be near the stove, so it's going in the main living area.

I think I have a spot picked out, i'll post some pictures soon so you guys can help with that. The spot, i'm thinking, is right at the base of the stairs, going to the upstairs bedroom...

I think a summit will do you just fine or the t6 same stove inside just the t6 wears a cast jacket.
both are very well behaved stoves and will heat your 2,200 sq ft nicely IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.