Is there such thing as an EPA Wood Furnace??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

log-on

Nov 6, 2007
Kootaneys BC
Hi Every one, I have just been appointed the coordinator for the woodstove exchange program here in Grand Forks BC.
I might bug a few of you stove wizards for info on certian stoves from time to time.
Someone called today wishing to change out their old wood furnace. They are listed as qualifying for the program.
Local retailers say that furnaces are not EPA approved. I googled EPA wood furnaces and came up blank..Any input is much appriciated.
John

Thanks for your fast answer. So then they are just not rated but some may offer very low emisions.
The intent of our program is to be rid of all old " belchers" to help clean up the air shed. I will look into the specs on the furnaces and we might be able to allow an exchange for this person if it means cleaner air. We have been told to allow Masonry heaters which are not EPA approved but if buit by a professional will have very low emissions. No sure where the insurance companies would stand. They are headed for total EPA compliance before you will get your insurance.

The strange part about it is that EPA specs were made for space heaters and would really not be the proper standards to apply to most furnaces and boilers. This is because EPA specs heavily lean toward making stove burn at very low settings.

But I think that particular one may actually be fully approved - check it out.

That's the problem with method 28, it is meant for solid fueled room heaters, and while it has been adopted to apply to pellet stoves as well, it's really no where near a good fit for furnaces. Ultimately, the EPA needs to develop a testing standard for furnace and boiler emissions.

Hi John -

There are now four EPA approved outdoor wood boilers. There is a new system in place where boilers can be tested and if they pass the air emission guidelines they get an orange tag which depicts how much particulate they emit - just like the tags on EPA certified wood stoves.

Check out http://www.epa.gov/woodheaters/

Here is a table with links to the cleaner OWB's that are out there.

Good luck.

Pete

Pete Antos-Ketcham said:
Hi John -

There are now four EPA approved outdoor wood boilers. There is a new system in place where boilers can be tested and if they pass the air emission guidelines they get an orange tag which depicts how much particulate they emit - just like the tags on EPA certified wood stoves.

Check out http://www.epa.gov/woodheaters/

Here is a table with links to the cleaner OWB's that are out there.

Good luck.

Pete

http://www.epa.gov/woodheaters/models.htm

Thanks for that but we are talking furnaces not outdoor boilers, But it's good to know. , they have a very bad rep around here.They are banned in some areas of BC .I like the idea of hot water heat and wish to instal a system someday.

Hey! How did I end up in the boiler room thread?? I thought I posted in the regular area,, Oh well got good answers any way thanks to all..

I was going to suggest the Caddy as well. I have no idea how well they work, but I like the idea of integrating a glass front into a furnace. Nice addition to a finished or semi-finished basement, and it's nice to be able to see how your fire is doing without opening any doors. A wood furnace is, from what I can see, basically a glorified wood stove, so why not have a window and secondary burn?

Thanks everyone. I looked into the Caddy and they seem to be the only EPA furnace right now. I guess that will change as
more community's start enforcing clean air bylaws. The Caddy lists for under $3000 and you can add a Electric backup for just $1500. Very cool,, I mean hot...There's a dealer near us in Kelowna..

Status
Not open for further replies.