Is there such thing as going too big?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SudsJeff

Nov 19, 2015
Sudbury Ontario
Hello, I am in the process of deciding on what wood stove to purchase in my 70's split level 1400 sq/ft home (average winter temps -20C). I need a stove that will serve as the primary heat source and will be capable of 8+ hour burns (while overnight and at work). It will be replacing an aging corn stove in the finished lower level rec room that has an air exchanger right near it delivering warm air to the upper levels through duct work. There are also french doors leading the upstairs.
From what I can see from reading this forum, a larger stove that can handle more wood is the way to go for long burns. With that in mind, I have been looking at the Drolet HT2000. 3.7 cu/ft. I'm just worried that a larger stove with big BTU/hr might melt my face when in the room. Should I be looking at smaller stoves? could I just build smaller fires or close dampers if things get too hot down there? Thanks!

Yes, there is a such a thing, but in your case due to the age of the house and locale I think the Drolet would work out. Just build smaller fires if you want less heat. FYI I think Drolet marketing is telling a bit of a tall tale. The HT2000 is a listed as a 3.4 cu ft stove in the manual and IIRC that is what was listed on their website until recently.

Reactions: SudsJeff
Check out the Blaze Kings. I had a King model in my 2000's era 1500 sq ft home and I was able to turn it down low enough to keep the house nice and toasty and get 12+ hour burns on our junky pine.

Status
Not open for further replies.