Is This a 1977 Grandpa Bear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
The reason I'm asking is because it has the old style tall trees and stars on the doors, but there isn't a 76 in the right door big star.

I was under the impression that the grandpa bear doors were updated with the short trees in 1976 when the grandma bears were introduced. This stove also doesn't have the channel iron door seal.

It doesn't make much sense to have grandpa bears with both tall trees and short trees in 1976 & 1977, unless there was more than one foundry being used for grandpa bear doors.

Does anyone have a picture of a 1976 grandpa bear with the short trees and a 76 in the big star on the right side door?

00606_eM0n9U2qzhq_1200x900.jpg
00606_gVjnePqHKsQ_1200x900.jpg

'76 was only the tall trees with 76 in the right door star. It was the only Bicentennial. '77 dropped the 76 in the star until the newer doors that use channel iron and had shorter trees were cast. Shortly after there were 4 foundries casting doors.

Reactions: Todd67
Thanks for the info Coaly! The only grandpa stoves I have seen with stars (76 & 77 years) had the tall trees. I was wondering if I was missing something