Is this a Crazy idea ? please tell me this will work.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinktwicez71

Nov 22, 2011
Ogdensburg , NY
hello everyone , im new here .

i just bought my first house , its a single wide trailer , in very nice shape . its a 14x80 made in 2001. i have only lived in it for 3 months so i can't tell you how the winter will be , but the oil prices are crazy. i want a woodstove. i contacted my local code office and i can procede , i even told him my idea and he said no problem. so here goes

i have a 14x80 mobile home ; that i made a 16x10 attached enclosed porch. i am in the process of insulating it right now. it has a 36 inch wide door , and a window. 2x6 ceiling , tin roof , 2x6 walls , 2x8 floor joices ( floor , walls and ceiling beams are all 16 " on center) . I want to put a woodstove on this porch that i made and leave my house door open and hope the heat goes inside with some fans blowing it around. I am not so much concerened about being done properly because i am anal bout that stuff , i am going to do it correctly with double wall stove pipe inside , simpson duratec ss class a chimney and have it all inspected. My main questions are these ...

1) .....am i wrong to think this would work ?
2) have you ever done something like this ?
3) would a lopi endeavor be too big ? i figure i could make smaller fires and if it got really cold i had the extra if needed.
or would i be better with a lopi answer ?
4>) if i did do it , would the stove be better off across from the door to my house ? so the heat has a straight entrance in ?

here is a layout i made to give you an idea of my house layout and see what you think.

ps , we only use the living room/kitchen/ bathroom at the one end , the first bedroom down the hallway is our computer room.

i am sick of this 65 and damn chill feeling , i love wood heat and want it here badly , but safety is my #1

thanks alot - Art

Attachments

• house layout.bmp
    918.9 KB · Views: 779
Welcome to the site!

w/ 80 foot of length and 1 door as rwhite mentioned, you are about doomed here. I'd say you need this stove to go in the living room / kitchen area.

pen

Welcome to the forums. Heat doesn't move sideways particularly well. Woodstoves are space heaters, radiative heat from the stove being as important as convective heat (the exact contribution of each is dependent on the specific stove). The very best place to locate a woodburner is where you spend the most time in the living space. If you install a woodburning stove out there in the extension you built off the side of your trailer, I'd dang near guarantee that you'll burn a boatload of wood trying to get your living space warm with only mediocre success...but that extension room will be HOT! Rick

Agreed. The stove will overheat the porch room and little else. Plan on putting a stove in the living room and more the credenza out to the porch if you need room. Also, read up on the unique requirements for installing a woodstove in a mobile. Usually this means an outside air kit and bolting the stove down to the floor.

yeah i knew about the outside air kit , problem is wife said no woodstove inside , and space is limited , so i was hopeing it would work , even if to just heat the porch and take the chill off the house inside .

Then a smaller stove for that space is what you are going to want to look for.

pen

how would i maximize my heat going into the house ? a fan blowing inside at the ceiling ? or would placement on the porch matter ?

im hopeing i could talk her into putting it in the house , but if i can't ?

If you can't, drop the temp down to 60F. :lol: Actually, one good power failure should convince her.

I'll echo what has been said, it would work best in the living room area. You'll obviously get some heat gain from the porch but it'll be far from ideal. The endeavor only needs to be a little more than 4 inches off the wall so it doesn't have a huge foot print.

My last stove was an Endeavor and we enjoyed it. It's a well built stove great looking stove with a lot nice features. I used it to heat nearly 2000 sq' for two seasons.

Hey think2x, did you say there is also a window onto the porch from the bedroom? If so a fan blowing into the porch from bedroom with door open could blow the heat through door into living room.

sucks......i love wood heat and she just doesn't understand what its gonna cost useing only fuel oil.

One good power outage will cure that.

i hope it happens soon then , because wood is practically free , my dads friend owns a firewood plant , my neighbor said i can have anything that fell down in his woods , and her gram has a few hunded acres of woods too.

and no sorry , the window is a window installed in the enclosed porch

I think a Lopi Endeavor is way overkill in this application, regardless of the location. Yes, the Endeavor is Mobile Home Approved (a crucial criterion in this situation), but it's not a small stove. I think it's more stove than the OP needs wherever he puts one (of course, I think the extension room is out of the question). An Endeavor doesn't want to be in that little side extension room, and I think it's too big for the trailer if in the living room. What the heck...if you're not gonna put a stove in your living space, you can heat that 160 ft² extension space with a little electric heater. Rick

Maybe try showing her some dressier stoves to see if that is more her taste. She may just want something that looks more like furniture. Here are some ideas for the living room. Try to get her involved in the choosing. See which style is the most appealing to her:

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=11
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=4
http://www.regency-fire.com/Product...t-Iron-Stoves,-Fireplaces---Inserts/H300.aspx

http://www.pacificenergy.net/alderlea/t4.php
http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-400-Castine/
http://www.woodstove.com/keystone

ill try , but i don't know if that is gonna help or not, ill try and if not then i guess my hope is dead , the oil man will just laugh all the way to the bank.

Maybe back off a bit. Find a nice fireplace dvd and put it on the tv. Let her digest a bit. Then discuss it later over a nice glass of wine.

Keep the house in the low-mid 60's for this year, that combined with the high oil cost may help your cause. When we bought this place it only took one season of proPANE bills while still being cold for us to make the move to wood heat.

yeah im ok with it , i still might get a smaller woodstove for the back porch area tho. ill sit out there if i have to lol

thinktwicez71 said:
yeah im ok with it , i still might get a smaller woodstove for the back porch area tho. ill sit out there if i have to lol

Go for it. What's the worse that could happen? You would have at least one place to go get good and warm and you'll get some heat into the house even if it's not as good as you would like. Prob find your wife in there all the time and you then get a good I told ya so out of it, not that I would ever do that ;-) .

Yeah, it's only money and a hole in the roof.

yeah it is but ill be happy and so will she and well both win , but like i said safety first , if the fire dept and the code / insurance says no its no for good.

BeGreen said:
If you can't, drop the temp down to 60F. :lol: Actually, one good power failure should convince her.

I kept the upstairs 40-45 degrees one winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.