Is This a good Buy??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont need a saw that big but if the deal is good......

estang said:
I dont need a saw that big but if the deal is good......

That deal is pretty good....The condition seem above average to!

The deal is great, but if you only need- let's say- a 290, then you're going to get more fatigued than necessary with this saw (unless you're a lot bigger than I am- not hard to do).

If you can really use that power- then it's a good deal, but having a "right sized" saw is better for safety reasons as well- more mistakes are made when you're burned out at the end of the day. A local Stihl dealer was joking about how many young guys come in looking for all the power they can afford, and how many come back looking to trade down in a year.

Adios Pantalones said:
The deal is great, but if you only need- let's say- a 290, then you're going to get more fatigued than necessary with this saw (unless you're a lot bigger than I am- not hard to do).

If you can really use that power- then it's a good deal, but having a "right sized" saw is better for safety reasons as well- more mistakes are made when you're burned out at the end of the day. A local Stihl dealer was joking about how many young guys come in looking for all the power they can afford, and how many come back looking to trade down in a year.

460 really not that heavy, with a 20 inch bar its pretty simple saw.

Adios Pantalones said:
It's at least an extra few pounds. I'd feel it, but I'm 5'7", 180# soakin wet, and used to a 260.

I am 5'10 and 170.....I have ran the 260 alot. Would rather run a 192t to set up the 460. If your good with the 260 you really will not have an issue with the 460 far as weight. Every hour on it will be at-least 3 hours managing the rounds. Even the 880 is not heavy in the right wood.

I can see what you're saying- but the key is "in the right wood", I think, and if you're running one saw for mostly smaller stuff. I could probably stand to have a bigger saw with the wood I go through, but manage well enough. I don't really have experience with bigger saws, so I'm just talkin out my butt anyway :)

Adios Pantalones said:
I can see what you're saying- but the key is "in the right wood", I think, and if you're running one saw for mostly smaller stuff. I could probably stand to have a bigger saw with the wood I go through, but manage well enough. I don't really have experience with bigger saws, so I'm just talkin out my butt anyway :)

lol...They really not much different, other than a mistake happens a little quicker. The other side is the 460 can do anything a 260 can do other than an extra 3 pounds. I feel that the 260 is to heavy for limbing out a yard bird.

Adios Pantalones said:

I think it's more about what saw you are conditioned for using versus the wood you are cutting. Growing up I used my old man's Homelite. It weighed 46 lbs and made your hands numb after 10 minutes, but I didn't know any better. Then I got a modern saw and appreciated the difference. I still use the old homelite from time to time, and hate every minute of it.

Back to the OP, if you are in the market for that much saw I think it is a good buy. Not a steal, but a good buy. If you don't need that many ponies you could get a 2xx or 3xx new/used for about half the price.

I saw that and agree with lukem....... it may just sit long enough at that price in our area for him to take $550 in a week.

smokinjay said:
Adios Pantalones said:
It's at least an extra few pounds. I'd feel it, but I'm 5'7", 180# soakin wet, and used to a 260.

I am 5'10 and 170.....I have ran the 260 alot. Would rather run a 192t to set up the 460. If your good with the 260 you really will not have an issue with the 460 far as weight. Every hour on it will be at-least 3 hours managing the rounds. Even the 880 is not heavy in the right wood.

+1 I'm 5'7 & 170. Will be 48 next month.Can do everything with the bigger saws I did at 30 or so.Just takes me longer now.I'm not in a hurry anymore.When weather is nice & saws are running great,I keep going,when I get tired I take more breaks.You can tell by the sound & 'feel' of the engine when its just perfect.Makes the whole job easier & faster.That's why a 3 saw plan works so well,most of the time I just need 1 or 2.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Adios Pantalones said:

+1 I'm 5'7 & 170. Will be 48 next month.Can do everything with the bigger saws I did at 30 or so.Just takes me longer now.I'm not in a hurry anymore.When weather is nice & saws are running great,I keep going,when I get tired I take more breaks.You can tell by the sound & 'feel' of the engine when its just perfect.Makes the whole job easier & faster.That's why a 3 saw plan works so well,most of the time I just need 1 or 2.

460 is really a mid range hi rpm saw. Those 85-90+ saws and long bars are the Big Boy! ;-)

I seen that posting today, along with the 2 -MS 200T's, and the Husqvarna 575XP.. I have really been tempted.. This guy bought 4 New PRO Saws about 3 months ago and seems to want to sell them all.

DexterDay said:
I seen that posting today, along with the 2 -MS 200T's, and the Husqvarna 575XP.. I have really been tempted.. This guy bought 4 New PRO Saws about 3 months ago and seems to want to sell them all.

The 200T"s look like new . If I only had some spare money

The one 200T is brand new (according to the seller) and the 460 has been deleted. Sold in about 24 hrs. Yep, it was a Good deal. So good, someone jumped on it, in less than 1 day. There is still the Husqvarna 575XP, 2 MS 200-T's, and a 066 from a different seller on the same day. The 460 was by far the best deal. IMO. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Was on My way out the door to get a 572 xp for 100.00 when the guy called and said it was sold.@ 7:30 in the am!!!!!!!!!! Now thats a good deal . He said it ran but needed a chain

estang said:
Was on My way out the door to get a 572 xp for 100.00 when the guy called and said it was sold.@ 7:30 in the am!!!!!!!!!! Now thats a good deal . He said it ran but needed a chain

woah at that price I'd gladly pay shipping,Priority Mail w/ faster service even.

Status
Not open for further replies.