Is this a good chainsaw deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
So, thanks to everyone who has been educating me on the best type of saw to get for my first chain saw.

You can see that thread here:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/chainsaw-purchase-advice-needed.125963/

I think I want a used Stihl in the range of 50 cc but I am looking for help identifying what is a good deal.

What do you think of this of saw? Is it a good deal? I would have to drive 2hrs (one way to get it).

GENTLY USED~ STIHL 029 $280
Comes with 16" bar and case (not shown)

0291.jpg
0292.jpg
0293.jpg
0294.jpg

That looks like a really clean saw, not much use.

But its a little steep in price given that its a few models old, and two hours away.

I personally would hold out for something better, but it might be just what you need if you haven't seen much else....

There aren't many bargains on used 290s. For whatever reason they hold a high resale value. It appears to be a very clean saw but it is no great bargain.

Reactions: isipwater
There aren't many bargains on used 290s. For whatever reason they hold a high resale value. It appears to be a very clean saw but it is no great bargain.
Ok, I understand, I will leave this one alone and move on. Thanks.

Ok, I understand, I will leave this one alone and move on. Thanks.

Good move. Look for an 026 or MS260 in that condition and around that price and you may have a winner.

If you haven't checked your local Stihl dealers, it's worth a look. Sometimes mine will have dealer refurbished saws available.

If you haven't checked your local Stihl dealers, it's worth a look. Sometimes mine will have dealer refurbished saws available.
Yes, I already called but they don't have any right now. Thanks.

Buy a used pro line saw from a competent chains saw mechanic. One that has been gone through and from a reputable person who will stand behind it. The odds of find that "gem" on CL are slim.

Last week I got this this for a buddy of mine. This saw was blown up due to a lean seizure from improper carb adjustment. It has a brand new OEM P/C, intake pipe, Total (Tsmura) bar, new chain, and has been gone through and vac tested for air leaks. It wasn't cheap but it is real nice. Paid $370 for it, but as I said the it's now new.

2hogtw2.jpg

2hxofeu.jpg

Reactions: isipwater
Buy a used pro line saw from a competent chains saw mechanic. One that has been gone through and from a reputable person who will stand behind it. The odds of find that "gem" on CL are slim.

Last week I got this this for a buddy of mine. This saw was blown up due to a lean seizure from improper carb adjustment. It has a brand new OEM P/C, intake pipe, Total (Tsmura) bar, new chain, and has been gone through and vac tested for air leaks. It wasn't cheap but it is real nice. Paid $370 for it, but as I said the it's now new.

2hogtw2.jpg

2hxofeu.jpg
looks teriffic!! Sounds like a good purchasing strategy!

Status
Not open for further replies.