Is this a good deal for this trailer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/grd/1385724270.html

My father would be using it to haul small loads to the dump, little bit of firewood here and there, and take his lawn tractor in to get serviced. He's got a Subaru Forester with a smaller sized hitch (1 1/4" ??)on it, I guess he'd have to get an adaptor if this is a standard sized hitch. Not sure if this would be too much for it or not.

sure looks good and willing to take less

Not a bad price, given the price of steel lately, and yes the subaru will pull it. Its more about how much you put in the trailer that affects the vehicle! that 5x8 bed could really get overloaded quick when the "wood haulin bug" bites ya!

I have 2002 Forester with a hitch, and the max you can tow without brakes is 1000 with 200 lbs on the tounge. (Goes up to 2000 if you have brakes)
I am running into a similar situation trying to find a decent trailer that doesn't weigh a lot.
Good luck

Looks like a decent trailer but I don't like the label of "heavy duty". A 2,000lbs axle isn't exactly heavy duty. But that's not what you're looking for anyway.

Does VA require trailer brakes in order to get a license plate for it? Some states do and you may want to check before making a purchase. One other thing - you may want to ask the owner how much firewood hauling he did with it. If he was consistently loading this trailer with a full-load of wood (to the top of the sides) he was consistently over-loading it. I wouldn't want to buy a trailer that's been abused...

For a smaller trailer, that looks pretty stout. A few of my buddy's have "Big Tex" trailers for their landscaping work...and that trailer looks similar; especially the way the jack is mounted.

Anyways, I did a little digging. Looks like for an extra $200, you could have a new one. Or maybe you could haggle and get a new one for a tick under a grand. Looks like they MSRP @ $1095: http://www.vatrailersales.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=1021796

My biggest concern is this: "Trailer Weight 644 empty" That's a lot of weight for an empty trailer. If you were going to tug it with something that had a 3k lbs tow rating, it wouldn't be an issue. However, once loaded with wood, you may be close to your vehicles towing capacity.

I brought my Harbor Freight 4x8 back from VT. I have side rails on it already for hauling my quad. I'm going to add some solid "walls" to it and box it out for scrounge hauling. It'll still haul my quad, but the box design should keep the rounds in the trailer...and off the road.

Skier76 said:
For a smaller trailer, that looks pretty stout. A few of my buddy's have "Big Tex" trailers for their landscaping work...and that trailer looks similar; especially the way the jack is mounted.

Anyways, I did a little digging. Looks like for an extra $200, you could have a new one. Or maybe you could haggle and get a new one for a tick under a grand. Looks like they MSRP @ $1095: http://www.vatrailersales.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=1021796

My biggest concern is this: "Trailer Weight 644 empty" That's a lot of weight for an empty trailer. If you were going to tug it with something that had a 3k lbs tow rating, it wouldn't be an issue. However, once loaded with wood, you may be close to your vehicles towing capacity.

I brought my Harbor Freight 4x8 back from VT. I have side rails on it already for hauling my quad. I'm going to add some solid "walls" to it and box it out for scrounge hauling. It'll still haul my quad, but the box design should keep the rounds in the trailer...and off the road.

Skiier, just sent you a pm...had a few questions on your trailer from Harbor Freight.

Status
Not open for further replies.