Is this a good deal? Used Regency i2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orenn89

Dec 14, 2014
Central Ct
So i have been looking into a wood stove insert for quite some time now and narrowed it down to a select few. A 7 year old regency i2400 came on craigslist the other day and i talked the person down to 1250. Does this seem like a good price? I also went and chatted up a dealer who gave me a price of 2200 new, that will come with a lifetime warranty. Does the warranty and getting it new justify spending another 1,000, or is this a good deal?

I picked up a 1991 for 200 bucks and I am trying to piece it back together. All that I can really say is that Regency is not a very customer friendly company. They don't respond to emails, their door gaskets are 7/8 inch (which is a very hard size to find) and it is hard to get dimensions of anything.
I have a Quadrafire and they are much easier to work with if you are going to spend that kind of money,

Reactions: macattack_ga
I picked up a 1991 for 200 bucks and I am trying to piece it back together. All that I can really say is that Regency is not a very customer friendly company. They don't respond to emails, their door gaskets are 7/8 inch (which is a very hard size to find) and it is hard to get dimensions of anything.
I have a Quadrafire and they are much easier to work with if you are going to spend that kind of money,
Find a good dealer and you will have no problems we get parts from them very quickly with no problems. I couldnt tell you how they are for a customer to deal with directly though all of our customers work through us

So i have been looking into a wood stove insert for quite some time now and narrowed it down to a select few. A 7 year old regency i2400 came on craigslist the other day and i talked the person down to 1250. Does this seem like a good price? I also went and chatted up a dealer who gave me a price of 2200 new, that will come with a lifetime warranty. Does the warranty and getting it new justify spending another 1,000, or is this a good deal?
That seems a little high for used unless it was hardly used or has been rebuilt. But it is not a bad deal at all

I just bought a Drolet Myraid new for less than 750.00 including tax down from 1000.00 before tax . 3.3 firebox and so far worth every penny and then some.

I don't think that is a horrible price, if its in nice condition. From a private owner? I'd think 800-1000, from a hearth store, ask 1200, and take 1000 if you can get it. Its a nice stove, if you're happy with it, that's what matters anyway..

If it is nice enough that you want it, offer him $1000, if he doesn't want to take it then tell him to call ya in a couple weeks if it doesn't sell, then walk away. Wood stove sales are usually slow from now until fall, you'll probably get a call...

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
Seems high to me, but then I really don't keep up to date with stove prices. All I know is I purchased my Regency F2400 new about 6 years ago for $1400.
I didn't ask what the inserts where going for at the time,,,, do inserts generally cost more???

Was doing a Google search and came across this youtube video.
*****WARNING****** watching the guy in this video may turn you off wood stoves entirely **********
!!!

This video is much better. It looks like the sticker price on the stove is $2,259. If that's the case $1250 probably isn't a bad price, but I would still hold out for $1000 Brenndatu suggests.
I like the design of their insert in that it is not actually inserted into the fireplace recess, putting the whole of the stove out in the room space. Is that the same as the one the guy is selling?

*****WARNING****** watching the guy in this video may turn you off wood stoves entirely **********
!!!

Crazy Eddie, of wood stoves.

Crazy Eddie, of wood stoves.
With the woosiest newspaper fire I have ever seen advertised. Prolly too hot in CA to burn in the stove.

First guy needs to chill down, seems like a car commercial back here in New England, a lot of them have gone that route. The second video, Quadrafire appreciates that advertisement banner in the back, but as least his approach is a little calmer, perhaps too calm. He said he "liked regency enough to put one in his house," but didn't indicate he actually had one in his house. Interesting. Guys, thanks for the video. Still think 800-1000 is a fair price, if stove is in nice condition.

Thanks for the input guys, im still tempted to get it because its pretty much exactly what i'm looking for even though the price is high. I am curious tho on how the quality of a regency that is 2x the cost would compare to the drolet.

Thanks for the input guys, im still tempted to get it because its pretty much exactly what i'm looking for even though the price is high. I am curious tho on how the quality of a regency that is 2x the cost would compare to the drolet.
I think they are pretty comparable, the extra cost of the Regency is dealer profit...IMO ( and, Menards tends to have some almost unbelievable deals on wood burners and accessories sometimes)

I think they are pretty comparable, the extra cost of the Regency is dealer profit...IMO
Interesting, i had originally been thinking of getting a century 2900, made by the same people as drolet, but figured it would be best to get a used quality stove then a cheap new stove. Any one else share the same opinion?

I think they are pretty comparable, the extra cost of the Regency is dealer profit...IMO ( and, Menards tends to have some almost unbelievable deals on wood burners and accessories sometimes)
No not really the regency is higher quality for sure. Don't get me wrong drolet makes a god stove for the money but the build quality is absolutely not the same

but the build quality is absolutely not the same

Curious. What about the "build quality" is better? Not knocking Regency or pimping Drolet. Just want to know.

!!!

That idiot is located in the desert just east of San Diego. I bet he could stay warm with no fire at all, just some R19 walls and ceiling. I lived a few miles north of there in an uninsulated home and never even noticed my "winter" heating bill. How much fuel do you need to burn with 70º highs and 50º lows?

The first video has to be a joke.
I Iike the idea of the i2400.

The first video has to be a joke.
I Iike the idea of the i2400.

It is a joke . . . tagline at the end says the video was done for "entertainment" purposes only and the phone number is bogus.

Status
Not open for further replies.