Is this a good price for a used Fireview?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwill

Oct 13, 2010
W. MI
USED FIREVIEW

The ad claims it is a keystone but it looks like a fireview to me. Kinda hard to tell in the pics what kind of shape it really is in but the glass is clean. I sent an email asking about better pics. If this thing is in good shape is $1000 a good used price? What should i be looking for other than cosmetic problems?

Yes, that is a Fireview.

No way would I pay that much for this stove. It is one of the earlier models. Some still burn them and they are good but not like the present models. Look for cracks in the stone, inside and out. Lift the lid and check the cat. Check all the gaskets. Does the door fit tight?

That's the older 201 model that was built between 1985-1996 so it's getting up there in age but still a good heater. I don't think I'd buy it for $1k when you can get a new one for $1800.

received a reply on it a bit ago. Owner claims it's 10 years old, burned for 2 years then moved to a summer cottage. I pointed out in my reply email that the price was high and new ones were only $800 more. What would be a good price?

Well it's got to be at least 15 years old if it was built in 1996 that is the last year that model was built by Woodstock. Maybe they bought it from a dealer 10 years ago, who knows. I'd probably buy it for $600-700 if it was in good shape.

Todd, what would be the difference between a 201 and a newer one? Also is it possible to still get replacement parts?

Open it up and say the cat is shot, i'll give you $500. Its not a lie, you probably do need a new one at that age.

The 201 doesn't have the air wash to keep the glass as clean. The air control is on the side loading door verses the back of the stove like the new 205 model. The baffle and cat are similar to the Classic in fact I think the 201 is basically the Classic with a window and Woodstock has all the parts.

I just got a 201/Fireview in great structural/cosmetic shape (needs baffle and combustor, which were easily ordered from Woodstock, along with a maintenance kit of gaskets and the like since I figure it probably needs that), delivered to my hearth for less than that. All in I'll have paid a hair shy of $1K to make the stove more or less like new again and delivered. It was well cared for and kept indoors (too heavy to move outside when the family replaced the wood stove with a wood furnace!), seller said it was used for about 10 of its nearly 20 years and I believe him - he's a neighbor, farmer, I am a customer of the farm and have no reason to doubt him on his word.

I have some minor regret at the final price tag but I'm glad in the end that it won't go to a landfill...a big reason to burn wood for me is to give back to the earth so buying used fits better with my general philosophy...and with my cash flow today there is a big difference between 1000 delivered and 1800 + shipping. Cross your fingers for me that it works out! LOL.

Got another reply back. They said has been indoors and unused for 8 years! The reason they want 1k is because it comes with all the stove pipe and chimney (a bunch of old class A aint worth the extra $$ to me). They don't want to separate it. Sent another reply thanking them for answering my questions and if they decide to sell just the stove to please contact me. The wife is not big on the look of the fireview so it would be a hard sell anyways.

mfglickman, good luck on your 201, if these things are well taken care of I can't see how they wouldn't last a very, very long time. Great quality is hard to find now days, its all about price point.

Todd said:
I'd probably buy it for $600-700 if it was in good shape.
You might go look at it to make sure of the condition. With the glass that clean, it must have burned fairly hot...or they cleaned it. Make sure it wasn't run too hot. Point out to them that it's an older model, not "new and improved." :smirk: Then offer $600 but shell out $700 if you have to. Take off $100 if the combustor is shot.

Got an email today. She's ready to deal. Asked if I'm still interested. Hmmmm I smell deal. Thinking about going a looking at it. How will I know if the combustor is shot?

The best way to know if the cat is shot is to fire it up and see if the chimney smokes but if your just looking at it check for cracking and crumbling. A few hair line cracks shouldn't hurt but chunks missing will. Also ask if it's original with the stove or how old it is and how much wood was run through it. A new cat is $125 from Woodstock so maybe drop your price of the stove down for cat replacement.

I would walk into it with the view of replacing the cat and redoing the gaskets and seals and agree with the 600-700 offer.

Unless the cat is crumbling really no way of visual conformation. You can ask them when it was last replaced but really any used stove I would replace what I could to get it working like new.

This deal is kinda strange. Owner lives in CT, stove is at their cottage next to the winery they own here in MI. Most likely would not be face to face with owner, likely an employee to show me the stove. Gonna set up a time to see it. Point out that its at best a 1996 and that's old, Low ball at $400, see if they bit.

Keep in mind Woodstock sells factory rebuilt models (mostly summers I believe), so you could get a newer stove with a full warrantee, including 6 month money back warantee, directly from Woodstock at a good price if you are not in a hurry.

A stove like that, though beautiful, is still at best 16 years old now. That is if it is in fact the last one out of fabrication for its model. It is not currently in production. It will need all the gaskets replaced not to mention any parts that may need replacement like the cat, which is not always visibly damaged. It may look good but could still be too old to light off. Or the baffle which is replaceable and most often easy to judge. When all is said and done, it could be worth 600-700 with a new cat gaskets and anything else that may be wrong with it. The lack of air wash is a bummer and a major downfall for me because it will get dirty fast! I'd say anything over 500-550 would be too much. Think about 550+ cat+ gaskets+ anything else you may visibly or invisibly need and you're up over 700 into it and it's still not a completely rebuilt stove. 550 would be my B.O.

Good luck, the FV is one of my favourite stoves. The soapstone is awesome, the look of the craftsmanship almost unmatched. Plus it is a woodstock, they will still stand by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.