Is this a good price on a PE Summit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dharmama

Oct 12, 2007
Local dealer just gave me a price on a black Pacific Energy Summit Freestanding - $1525 for the stove, $275 for the blower, 400 for the install (i already have a liner) plus tax. What do you think? Thanks!

dharmama said:
Local dealer just gave me a price on a black Pacific Energy Summit Freestanding - $1525 for the stove, $275 for the blower, 400 for the install (i already have a liner) plus tax. What do you think? Thanks!

That is a very good price for the stove.

Jog my memory...your putting this freestander in a huge fireplace right? That should work out very nicely.

Edit- make sure the dealer puts in a block off plate at the damper.
- consider the ash dump system if you haven't already, it works very well and easy to use. It's about $120 option on the "stock" summit but included in the classic models.
http://invite.filmloop.com/x?BSZNCppQu-/BwhZTKqKJkmn4Tw4Lsq3R

In my part of the country that is a great price. Snap it up. Just wish I could fit one of those in my fireplace.

Guys does anybody know the list price on the base Summit? I thought it was $1,650. With PE's current $200 off sale then this price would not be all that hot of a deal.

This is what we paid for ours in 2003:

$735 for the stove body.
$132 for the pedastal.
$96 for the ash system (money well spent).
$311 for the door.
$1274 total.

Prices are in Canadian dollars not including tax.

hfjeff at 2350 you are talking a Summit Classic which has the ash dump included, porcelain enamel, gold/nickel/brushed nickel door, legs and trivet. This pricing is for a standard Summit with no extras.

I don't know about list prices BB, but every stove dealer I've been to the prices are all over the map...not uncommon for there to be 2-300 diff between the same stove regardless of brand. Maybe this dealer reg price is $75 higher than list then minus the 200 promotional discount...who knows. Still better than the guy who starts 300 higher than list and knocks of 200. You might be able to find one $100 cheaper if you look real hard or find a dealer who is hurting or floor model but I still think it's a good price.

I just spoke with the dealer to clarify today- so its the regular pedestal summit, black door, with blower & ash dump system for $2025. Install is going to cost $400. What do you think of the price?

Sounds about right. What are the installation details?

Is the rebate from the dealer at purchase time or direct from PE after purchase? I was assuming the later.

oregonrider emailed them a couple months ago, it's applied at the time of purchase. Looks like it might have ended in Sept. but it's still up on the web site.

Add contact Add contact
Sent:
Wed 9/05/07 8:03 AM
To:
‘roben kesel’ ([email protected])

Thank you for your interest in the Pacific Energy line of products. Our Fire Up Your Savings promotion began this past weekend and runs thru September. The savings are direct from the dealer, and applied at the time of purchase. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Tara Mitchell
Sales & Marketing Assistant
Pacific Energy/Town & Country Fireplaces
2975 Allenby Road
Duncan, BC V9L 6V8 Canada
T: 250-748-1184 ext 261
F: 250-748-0844
E: [email protected]

ok, the dealer's price seems to keep going up. i mentioned the sale to him (which he did not know about! amazing that we have to do work for the dealer) and so he did take that off the top. what do you think about the rest of the break down...i don't see why we have to be shipping and handling since he's a dealer.

Summit wood stove/(list $1,225)SALE $1,025.00
dOOR, BLK. 400.
PEDESTAL KIT 200.
Blower (list $275.) 200.
TOTAL $1,825.00

dvl 6" stove adapter,adj. 45.
stove adapter,w/o damper 40.
1 90 Elbow 88.
1 DVL 6" x 24" 74.
1 close clearance adp. 20.
1 trim collar 18
Total 285.00

Sub TOTAL $2,110.00

TAX 142.43
Shipping&Handl;. 150.00
Installation: 450.00
Credit card surcharge @2.5% 71.31

GRAND TOTAL: $2,923.74

The Summit is a 500-pounder, and very expensive to ship. PE products are built here on the West Coast, so East Coast dealers must compensate for the extra expense of getting a Summit to their stores, as compared to the East Coast lines they may carry. Sounds like your dealer is simply being up front about the freight charge.

If you subtract the labor charge of $450.00, your dealer is offering the Summit and venting parts for $2473.74. I ran the numbers, and, assuming your dealer is including the ash drawer, our price would be $2071.72 plus freight. If you live on the East Coast, the charge for delivery from our warehouse to your driveway would be about $400.00, so buying from us would save you a whopping $2.02!

In other words, it sounds to me like your dealer is offering you a fair price. Beat him down three bucks, and he's the low bidder.

Also - I've heard its illegal to charge a surcharge for using a credit card, does anyone know if its true?

dharmama said:
Also - I've heard its illegal to charge a surcharge for using a credit card, does anyone know if its true?

That part of the Truth in Lending Law expired in 1984. Visa and MasterCard prohibit surcharges as a part of the merchant's agreement with the card company though. And some states have passed laws against the practice.

Your dealer has an unusual way of pricing his merchandise, that's for sure. He is entitled to recoup his expenses when he sells you a stove, though. If he pays an extra $150.00 to get Summits into his warehouse, and credit card sales cost him 2.5%, he could simply say that the price of a Summit with Black Door, Pedestal Base, Ash Drawer and Blower in his store is $2230.00, less $200.00 on sale. You'd still be getting a fair price, without getting the impression he was heaping on extra charges.

I stopped at the Pacific dealer in Winnipeg for a couple of baffle gaskets ($3 ea.), since I was in the neighbourhood, and noticed a Summit classic, in Whorehouse red for $1875 on display. They are having a 20% off special on all PE stoves.

Jimbob said:
I stopped at the Pacific dealer in Winnipeg for a couple of baffle gaskets ($3 ea.), since I was in the neighbourhood, and noticed a Summit classic, in Whorehouse red for $1875 on display. They are having a 20% off special on all PE stoves.

Is that $1,875 in Loonies or is it in those things we used to call a dollar here in the States?

[quote author="thechimneysweep" date="1193361546"]The Summit is a 500-pounder, and very expensive to ship. PE products are built here on the West Coast, so East Coast dealers must compensate for the extra expense of getting a Summit to their stores, as compared to the East Coast lines they may carry. Sounds like your dealer is simply being up front about the freight charge.

If you subtract the labor charge of $450.00, your dealer is offering the Summit and venting parts for $2473.74. I ran the numbers, and, assuming your dealer is including the ash drawer, our price would be $2071.72 plus freight. If you live on the East Coast, the charge for delivery from our warehouse to your driveway would be about $400.00, so buying from us would save you a whopping $2.02!

In other words, it sounds to me like your dealer is offering you a fair price. Beat him down three bucks, and he's the low bidder.[/quotei have been qouted 2000- 2100 including the 200 off here in mass for the insert (summit)
installs range from 350-600 liners 432 to599
how does that sound?
i agree the dealer should have just given a price

BrotherBart said:
Jimbob said:

Is that $1,875 in Loonies or is it in those things we used to call a dollar here in the States?

That would be in Canadian funds.
Kinda strange having our dollar worth $1.06 U.S.
BTW, the stove would be $1968.75 U.S., but you have to come to Winnipeg to get it.... :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.