Is this a hybrid locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osagebndr

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2014
Central Indiana
My buddy and I got a score on craigslist a couple weeks back which consisted of ash,soft maple , red elm and an odd type of locust ( I think anyway) . Was hoping for some further insight in what it is for sure. Here's some pics thanks for viewing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 198
The second pic gives a good view of the bark and the heart wood is red in color

looks like honey locust.

Reactions: Lakeside
It looks like normal thornless Honey Locust. There are a couple varieties of Honey Locust that don't have thorns and are planted as shade trees. They aren't hybrids, just oddball Honey Locusts that somebody noticed and has propagated. Honey Locust is a pretty nice tree except for the insane thorns.

Rite on , sounds good to me . Thanks for the info I got 1/2 a cord if this it's in my 17/18 stacks now .

Reactions: D8Chumley
Hybrid Honey locust -thornless for the most part- true HL - tree from hell thorn wise. those that self propagate from the Hybrid mostly revert to thorns, thorns will punch through just about anything short of steel. If ya get stuck by one almost always have to go digging after the near microscopic tip that gets left behind when you remove the bulk of it. Buck thorn similar. burn wise right up with oak and such.

Yeah, thornless Honey Locust are still Honey Locust at the genetic level, they just happen to have a gene that causes them to have few or no thorns. If they set seeds the seedlings will mostly turn out to be normal, thorny Honey Locust. Kind of like the one redhead in the family who has kids that have brown or blond hair. Not to say that redheads aren't normal.

I will generally leave HL on the ground til
The thorns dry out then take a hatchet and knock them off. Once you've been stuck by one you don't want to have it again

I spent a week clearing 4 inch and smaller honey locust off a hill. We had to chip them and when I get home each night my hands were raw, where they had been stabbed so many times as we drug the trees to the chipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.