Is this a lot of creasote (Pic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
Well I went up on the roof before the Dallas Eagles game and cleaned the liner for the first time.Man some one should of told me to wear gloves I had creasote all over me. Anyway I got my brush and started with the cleaning and it was giving me a little resistance for the first five to eight feet and then it when staight down with hardly any resistance and the cap was full of light dirty dust so I wire brushed the cap and hooked it all back up. After washing up a little I went to the box and noticed a pile of creaote glowing on top of the little bit of coals there was left in the box so I toke a picture of it thinking that I didnt have that much creasote. (1pic)
Well I was wrong after I cleaned the box of ash and coals. I removed the baffles and there was more of the bad stuff.(2-3 pic)
Now this is the first time I cleaned this 23' liner since Febuary. I allways thought that creasote built up from the bottom and worked its way up not from the top down

Attachments

• x-mas 2008 064.jpg
    x-mas 2008 064.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 677
  • x-mas 2008 065.jpg
    x-mas 2008 065.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 676
Here's another picture of hte baffles and with out
What do you guys think is that alot

Attachments

• x-mas 2008 066.jpg
    x-mas 2008 066.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 657
  • x-mas 2008 067.jpg
    x-mas 2008 067.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 676
Burd said:
I allways thought that creasote built up from the bottom and worked its way up not from the top down
It forms the most on the coldest part of the chimney which is the top. At least you didn't fill a 5 gal pail like the other poster.

Burd said:
Well I went up on the roof before the Dallas Eagles game and cleaned the liner for the first time.Man some one should of told me to wear gloves I had creasote all over me. Anyway I got my brush and started with the cleaning and it was giving me a little resistance for the first five to eight feet and then it when staight down with hardly any resistance and the cap was full of light dirty dust so I wire brushed the cap and hooked it all back up. After washing up a little I went to the box and noticed a pile of creaote glowing on top of the little bit of coals there was left in the box so I toke a picture of it thinking that I didnt have that much creasote. (1pic)
Well I was wrong after I cleaned the box of ash and coals. I removed the baffles and there was more of the bad stuff.(2-3 pic)
Now this is the first time I cleaned this 23' liner since Febuary. I allways thought that creasote built up from the bottom and worked its way up not from the top down
Thats a tad more than I would care to have. And looks more like the heavier black stuff, compared to the brownish fly ash stuff I am happy to get. But all in all, not bad IMO.
Get your wood a lil drier and make sure your burning hot enough and I think you will find it lessens some.
Oh, btw, wear some gloves.
;)

OK I will be the bad guy. If I got that much out of my 22' liner I would not be a happy camper. How long has it been since the last time it was brushed? From the clean look of the firebox you are burning hot. I would take a look at your start-up method from a cold stove. That is where a lot of it comes from.

And next time take those freakin baffles out before you brush it. Those things cost too much to bang around or risk busting with a brush. :coolsmirk:

Wow, I had an uninsulated chimney and I would be lucky to get that much in a season. I ran up and checked and no need to clean yet. I insulated the liner and it seams to be better yet. Try burning a little hotter. I open mine up every morning for 10 minutes or so and let r rip. Not sure if it helps that much but it makes me feel better :lol: Your amount would not alarm me though, just a learnig curve. My first month with the insert I had a lot, wood was not dry enough, and I wanted to choke it down like the old insert.

BB thanks for the truth.
I think alot of it came from last year when I first got the insert. That was a big learning curve I ask alot of Q A and you and fossli and Be green really helped me out on start ups and seasoning. Mabe one day I"ll get it right. As for the baffles,Man did I feel like a fool I guess its apart of learning(rookiee)
Im burning ash and oak with pine on startup I think Im going to stop using the 1to 2" splits and start using hard wood for start ups The pine was working great but lately it seams moist. I have it outside under roof and when it gets moist out it seams like the pine holds moister.
I have to be burning hot enough right now its packed and the thremo at 675 and I just shut it down for and all nighter.

Heck if that is the first time you cleaned it and you started at the beginning of the season last year that ain't bad. It will look a lot better next time.

Now start cleaning that sucker once a season before you fire up, or after you shut down! ;-)

That's not alot for that amount of burning. I bet the stove does draft better now.

People seem to get really paranoid about creosote build up. What you have is dry and flakey. A little dark, but certainly not wet. Take a look at what comes out of a regular chimeny with a regular fireplace some time.

It's really hard to tell from the pics. If you take a bunch of fine brown and black soot and knock it down with a brush, it mixes with the creosote and all looks the same. The time to analyze it is before brushing. Look for shiny black glaze or black popcorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.