Is this a lot of wood? How long would it last or how many cords is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodchuck9

Mar 9, 2024
Pennsylvania
Anyone care to share comments on how much wood this pile is? How many cords or fraction of a cord would you think?

The open trailer behind it gives you a little idea of scale.

THANKS!
2024-03-09 13.10.34.jpg

Hard to see because it's not clear how deep (away from the camera) it is. But my guess would be 8 cords at minimum.

Reactions: danrclem
Agree it's hard to say, but I thought 4-5 including what isn't split...

Agree it's hard to say, but I thought 4-5 including what isn't split...
I'd guess that might be right but stoveliker is correct, we can't see the depth of the pile away from the camera. We get a 3 cord dump and it is about 20' x 10' x 4' but sloped up toward the middle.

My best swag guess from lookin at the photo is maybe 6 to 6 n half cords amd to answer the question in your title it just depends on where exactly u live in pa ( as in northern, central or southern ) and burnin habits for me n where i live in south eastern wv it would prob last me 1 winter some left over

THANKS EVERYONE! I am having issues with my next door neighbor running a landscaping / hardscaping business in a residential zone. This was big tree trunks he brought in a few weeks ago. at one point I saw some guys with axes working on pieves Seemed slow going, and then a few days later, the pile was there, Not sure if they got a machine to do the splitting.

For a 30 x 40' x 20' high? steel frame building / barn that he also just put up... He COULD burn the wood in there? I see this vent on the side of the barn. And recently I thought I saw what looked like steam coming out of it.

That amount of wood would last years in a somewhat insulated barn? I realize - these are nebulous descriptions of the situation.

My money is on him selling the wood based on the amount vs. any chance he could use it in his home (which is gas or oil heated) or barn.

THANK YOU!

2024-03-09 13.10.43.jpg

4-5 cords is average burning in a year. Most here strive to get 3 years ahead on wood to allow it time to dry.

Thats not a typical flue for a wood burner.

Yes, that looks like a direct vent gas heater flue. Maybe the barn is to stock wood for resale in the fall?