Is this a runaway stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CI-Borg

Nov 7, 2014
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Secondaries looked like two rows of blow torches and flames being blown down across the front glass. Temperature is a thermocouple just above the clue outlet of the Jotul 350 insert. Normally runs 600 to 800 degrees F. Secondaries start around 600 or so. Temp at the bottom of the keystone looking casting on the surround just above the air outlet was over 600, as high as my IR gun will read. Impressive but kind of scary.

If you can't put the brakes on it, it has run away. :oops:

There are many times when closing down the air on our stove (including today's reloads) where closing down the air does not slow down our stove. That does not mean it has run away. It settles in at 650-700F and burns down the load. No drama, just strong heat.

Ci-Borg, if you want less excitement turn down the air sooner and more aggressively as long as it doesn't snuff out the fire. Also burn down the coal bed further before reloading.

Mmm, I don't know about runaway but I don't think I would leave it unattended like that.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Agreed. I would cursing at myself for letting it get that hot and would probably open the stove door to break the strong secondary combustion.

Yeah, I wasn't going anywhere while it burned like that. I've just heard the expression a few times here and wondered what that actually involved. I think I caused the condition by loading some very dry ash on a load of still very hot coals. Should have waited for the coals to die down some before reloading. I did open the door after taking the video to let it burn down some

There are many times when closing down the air on our stove (including today's reloads) where closing down the air does not slow down our stove.
Yeah, I guess no runaway unless the temps keep going up, forcing you to take action. It was more loping away. He could run behind it and keep up, just couldn't grab the reins and pull back. ;)
I think I caused the condition by loading some very dry ash on a load of still very hot coals.
I've noticed the same thing in the Buck with some dry Ash this year; On hot coals, it will gas noticeably quicker than some dry Hickory I also have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.