Is this a safe way to do a chimney on an outside gazebo? Pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilyum

Mar 21, 2014
Moonbeam
Is it safe to have the wood planks touching the insulated chimney like this? Also is the black stove pipe sturdy enough to hold up the insulated pipe on its own, if it isn't being held up tightly by the wooden planks?

image.jpg

Last edited:
Is it touching the wood? If so that is wrong. Chimney pipe usually needs 2" clearance from any combustible. But if it's Excel chimney which needs 1" clearance, there may be enough.

If this is a property you are thinking about making an offer on i would make my offer contingent on that pipe passing the inspection.

Should be under a grand to have a pro fix it right, the wood part of the structurelooks pretty good from here and i dont see any charring...

Never seen a cylinder shaped thermal radiation shield either.

How long has it been installed, how many fires in it?

My ceiling box that makes the transition from the single wall to double wall is secured to the ceiling rafters. This is done above the finished ceiling. It holds up all the down loading from the stack of chimney sections above. So there is no vertical load on the single wall. Also the box has about a 2" clearance around it that a trim ring covers up. So is your ceiling box supported, maybe and you can't see it.

It's hard to tell in the picture, the distance from the single wall to the logs. I think it need's to be 16 or 18". you can put a heat shield on the pipe, or log.

Looks like the chimney pipe is supported with a roof-mount bracket. There is no ceiling support box in that case, though usually a trim ring is put up to finish the ceiling detail. The camera compresses distance so it's hard to say for sure whether this is ok or not without getting up there and measuring. The gap around the pipe does look tight. The single-wall appears to be about 4 ceiling planks away from the wood truss beam. If they are 6" planks then that would provide 24" clearance, though with that tall a pipe I would want double-wall stove pipe instead of single-wall.

Is the chimney pipe galvanized? If yes, it should be inspected outside for deterioration.

That is one hell of an outside gazebo. In other countries, you'd have the whole town moving in under it.

What codes or regulations does an outside uninhabited structure have? Likely not many.

If it was me....I would think twice about it from a safety point of view.

That is one hell of an outside gazebo. In other countries, you'd have the whole town moving in under it.

What codes or regulations does an outside uninhabited structure have? Likely not many.

If it was me....I would think twice about it from a safety point of view.
A structure is a structure and a chimney is a chimney. You need to follow the same clearances regardless.

I'm curious about what is connected to this flue? Fireplace or woodstove?

Status
Not open for further replies.