Is this a sign of wood burning addiction?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhetta

Feb 18, 2011
no. mn.
This morning I noticed these "wood stove" tracks on my husbands arm . When I confronted him about them he admitted to "firing up" without proper protection. I suggested that he seriously consider going cold turkey or at least using some fire proof gloves. He agreed to slowly ""weaning" himself off wood burning but said it would take at least until mid May, and that instead of loading up three times a day he would go down to twice daily and then to only once every night. I threatened him with propane intervention but he begged me not to do anything that drastic. He never had this problem with his Castine but that side door on the Heritage has led to his downfall. I'm sure glad spring is on the horizon "cause I hate to see him abuse himself like this. Hopefully these scars will disappear and we can put this behind us with some warm weather....the air conditioner doesn't use wood. It's still winter here.

Attachments

• john pics 027.jpg
    john pics 027.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 615
Looks like someone definitely needs some gloves!

Man,he is addict..just look at those tracks!

Time for welding gloves for sure.
I almost always put them on to add wood.
Got a few marks like that when I forgot.

Standard indoors clothing for woodburner owners, T shirt, shorts, and welding gloves.

Just remember to take them off when you answer the door to someone (welding gloves that is).......

Oops!

rhetta said:
It's still winter here.
You should have known that something was up when he asked you to marry him and move to Northern MN. I don't like being the bearer of bad news but I have to tell you the "AC system" he installed is only a decoy; In fact, it is probably just an empty shell with no working parts inside. Didn't you wonder how he got it so cheap? I lived in Southern WI for thirty years and never needed AC...what does that tell you? Below is a pic taken a few minutes ago here in Southern IN, so what do you think your chances are of ever seeing the ground?

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/2bnator/006-1.jpg

The sad truth is that he'll be burning wood (and his arms) the entire year with the possible exception of the first week of August, when the temp might crack 45*. No chance of him kicking the habit in that short a time. You've got to somehow convince him to move at least five hundred miles south. It will be the ultimate test of his love for you. Best of luck, and let us know how it all turns out.
;-)

It took me a couple of burns on my arms before my thick brain said: "Ya know........a pair of fire-retardant gloves might just be a good thing.

Funny thing is.......the way MY stove is set up.........the wood pile is on my left, with the stove straight ahead of me, and so I only throw on the LEFT glove, to grab and load the wood.

The result: I have a couple of right-handed, unused, fire-retardant gloves, if anyone needs a right-handed glove!!! They are in "like new" condition.........while my left-handed glove, looks as crusty as you might expect.

-Soupy1957

Me thinks he needs some intervention...perhaps Woodburners' Anonymous....jeez there might even be one of those support groups so no disrespect to those people...anyway, your in the right woodburners support group right here....My husband has burns just like them....I learned my lesson and do not open the stove door unless I have the welding gloves on...still lookin for some pink onez :lol: By the way welcome rhetta...

rhetta, there is silly and there is foolish. Methinks in this case it is just plain foolish as there is no need to damage the body in this way. For less than $5 you can get him a pair of welding gloves at Home Depot. However, then you may have to train him to use them..... Burns are not a sign of manhood....they can even cause worse problems.

It's funny, but when I do something that hurts, I generally refrain from doing it again....and again....and again...and again......
That's just me though.
Get the man some gloves.

You also need to keep some liquid Vitamin E on hand. Put it on as soon as you get a burn. Promotes healing fast.

Must be a real man, scars, burns, no complaints or whining, we need fire! Who needs gloves?

This "can do" altitude made this country what it is!

For sure the can do attitude is great, but it can also be done without damaging the skin. That is foolishness.

Liquid vitamin E works great...get at any drug store...used it on my neck scar after surgery years ago....can't see the scar at all now

That sounds good Gamma.

One I really remember was one time we were in Alaska at Mt McKinley National Park (before it was renamed). It was a cold August morning and the ice was about 3/4" thick in our water pail. We got a fire going and was standing by the fire just chatting and drinking coffee. We had just made the coffee and then sit the coffee pot on some stones right at the fire. I don't recall how it happened but somehow the coffee pot got tipped over and the contents poured out right on my wife's bare foot. Yes, she is somewhat of a hillbilly. Wore sandals at the time with no socks. Made me cold just to look at her. Anyway, needless to say, her foot was beet red and it hurt. I quickly got the first aid kit and started putting Vitamin E on the burn as fast as I could.

The rest of the day she figured on just going barefoot. That was the day we headed south towards Anchorage but stopped once in the afternoon when we found a huge area filled with wild blueberries and rose hips. We gathered a lot! That also was the only day we got to view Mount McKinley. It is usually surrounded by clouds so we had a rare view. A beautiful one too. But back to the story. As we were picking the fruit I asked my wife how her foot was because she seemed to be walking normally. She said there was no pain at all. By the next day there was no sign that anything had happened. That is the day I became a real believer in Vitamin E.

certified106 said:
Looks like someone definitely needs some gloves!
Bah! It wasn't even that hot in there; He's still got hair on his arm!
:lol:

I put it on me face too for that youthful appearance...really do, and works too get compliments on the skin all the time.

Backwoods Savage said:
By the next day there was no sign that anything had happened. That is the day I became a real believer in Vitamin E.

Vitamin E is often found in skin cream as part of various anti ageing compounds.
A huge bowl of blueberries sounds infinitely better to me.........

Glad Mrs Backsavs foot healed quickly!

Well the pancakes we had the next morning surely was good eating!

Backwoods Savage said:
rhetta, there is silly and there is foolish. Methinks in this case it is just plain foolish as there is no need to damage the body in this way. For less than $5 you can get him a pair of welding gloves at Home Depot. However, then you may have to train him to use them..... Burns are not a sign of manhood....they can even cause worse problems.

Yes that burned skin could mess up a good stove paint job :zip:

Too bad about the air conditioner. Just supports the problem.
"Honey, turn that air conditioner down it's too COLD in here"
"What, too cold? HAHAHAHAHA! Must make fire! :)

soupy1957 said:
It took me a couple of burns on my arms before my thick brain said: "Ya know........a pair of fire-retardant gloves might just be a good thing.

Funny thing is.......the way MY stove is set up.........the wood pile is on my left, with the stove straight ahead of me, and so I only throw on the LEFT glove, to grab and load the wood.

The result: I have a couple of right-handed, unused, fire-retardant gloves, if anyone needs a right-handed glove!!! They are in "like new" condition.........while my left-handed glove, looks as crusty as you might expect.

-Soupy1957

thats funny! I am a welder and when I am TIG welding I only use a right handed glove (to hold the torch) i can not stand a glove on my left hand, need to feel welding rod to feed it. So I have a bunch of left handed TIG gloves in my tool box at work

Now when i am MIG welding I have on both the left and right hand glove, and they are a bit heavier duty

As for loading the stove, I dont worry about it, dont wear any gloves. every once in a while i will touch something hot, but I am used to it

Status
Not open for further replies.