Is this a wood-burning fireplace, or a decorative one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegarv

Mar 16, 2016
Miami Beach, FL
Greetings,

I toured a home today with a fireplace and am wondering if anyone can help me take a guess if it is word-burning or just decorative. I was told by the agent that the owners think that it is "probably" just decorative. However, there is a chimney above the roof, and if you look up into the fireplace, you can see a metal pipe in the center, running vertically. There is no damper. Sorry, I wish I had a photo, but it didn't occur to me to take one at the time.

If this were just decorative, why would there be a chimney and a metal pipe? Are my odds good that I could hire someone to make it work as wood-burning regardless (e.g., by adding a damper)? The fireplace is a very important feature for me, but I don't want to hire an inspector quite yet considering I haven't even offered on the place.

-thegarv

The lack of a damper is odd but it sounds like a zero clearance fireplace. Are there gas logs in it?

If possible check the door frame for a mfg. tag that says the maker and the model number.

Thanks for the reply. No gas logs, but no door frame either. Don't think this is going to help, but here are two images I found: one of the exterior that shows the chimney, and one of the fireplace itself.

genMid.RX-10216436_17_0.jpg genMid.RX-10216436_3_0.jpg

If this is Miami maybe it is cosmetic, but that sounds unlikely.

I won't comment on the fireplace, but it sure is a beautiful place...

I sure don't see see any caps on that chase top. I'm really thinking that's a vent free box, that was used for looks. Get a better pic of the top and the fireplace itself and we can say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.