Is this a wood destroying insect?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
83b49f0989f3fbccfe2a4623bf85f189.jpg

Saw a couple of these suckers hanging around my elevated woodpiles. Any of you know what it is?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Looks like one of our native bores, the red headed ash borer that infests stressed, dying ash (including freshly cut ash logs).
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/documents/E-2939.pdf
If you season your wood for more than a season they should have completed their life cycle by the time you bring wood in to house.

Looks like one of our native bores, the red headed ash borer that infests stressed, dying ash (including freshly cut ash logs).
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/documents/E-2939.pdf
If you season your wood for more than a season they should have completed their life cycle by the time you bring wood in to house.

That's it! Thanks! The holes are identical to a few pieces of what I saw in a few pieces of in the pile. I have a pile of loose chips in the garage as kindlings but the big stuff are all outside. I do burn (trying not to) burn green wood but I carry them immediately and burn rightaway, should be ok.

Looks like a centipede. How about house centipede (Scutigera coleoptrata).

Never heard of it being a problem with wood. But here in SW Pennsylvania we call them silver fish. Outside they are fine. Inside it means your house needs cleaned

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

We found it in the great room where the stove is, the house us air tight and we vacuum weekly, hmmm....the only place we can think of is coming from the wood...

We found it in the great room where the stove is, the house us air tight and we vacuum weekly, hmmm....the only place we can think of is coming from the wood...

It could certainly be hiding in a piece. They really are no big deal. I was just joking about cleaning the house more.
They are just a normal pest they don't eat wood and they will find a way in somewhere.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jwalter04
I am used to seeing the slow moving short legged breed, not this sucker some high off the ground....

That's a common house centipede. Also known as "nope nope nope nope" when you find one on the back side of your bath towel in the morning.
Never had it happen....but could only imagine.;lol

My wife had one in her dish washing gloves the other week and she found out that they bite. She said it hurt like hell to but the pain went away fast and it it didnt leave a mark

Status
Not open for further replies.