Is this an ash tree? If not, does anybody know what it is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwood

Dec 3, 2009
Have several of these in a shelter belt. Not sure what they are.

Attachments

• IMG00176abc.jpg
    IMG00176abc.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 413
looks like ash to me

Unusual growth for ash here, but the bark is barking ash.

gzecc said:
Unusual growth for ash here, but the bark is barking ash.

lol thats what i was thinking

Thanks for the responses.This shelter belt has a diverse tree population. Evergreens, elm, honey locust, cottonwood, along with I think russian olive and ash. I think a cottonwood of this size would already have a wide, thick, straight bark on it and the smaller limbs would be white in color. My 2mp cellphone camera barely shows the deep diamond patterns of the entire bark of this tree. Unusual growth is funny, in this windblown land it's more usual.

I think that is an Ash, probably White Ash. Around here, where White Ash is a pretty common tree, you can find multiple-trunked White Ash. The ones in the forest tend to have straight, single trunks, but in fence rows, parks, etc. they can look like the one in your picture.

could be ash,

post a picture of the end of one of the limbs that comes off that tree - that will tell for sure.

It is very common around here for ash to grow like that. I get a lot of "twins" in our woods. The pictured trees look pretty good; it is the ones that grow close that are a problem to cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.