Is this an Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newburner

Burning Hunk
Aug 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Can someone please identify this tree? Is this an Ash tree, or something else?

It has never has any nuts, fruits, or seed pods in the 15 years I've had it. It has a very twisted and tangled structure.

Any help is appreciated.

uploadfromtaptalk1438544592830.jpguploadfromtaptalk1438544597863.jpguploadfromtaptalk1438544603938.jpg

Also, no flowers of any kind. In the fall, the leaves quickly turn yellow and then crunchy brown. They are the first to fall. The tree is usually bare before my maples even turn colors.

Looks like Boxelder to me. The male trees have no seeds. Can be a pain to split unless it's straight grained. Not the best firewood but it does burn.

Yes it's ash. Opposite branching habit although very difficult to tell from pic.
Ash are dioecious, so male and female flowers on different trees.
It looks like green ash - leaflets fully serrate along entire margin and darker green (bottom lighter/ whiter for white ash hence its namesake); bark on smaller branches "breaks-up" sooner than on white. White stays smooth longer.
The best distinguishing characteristic (D.C.) though is leaf scars - D-shaped (semi-circle, flat across top) for green v. C-shaped (smile) for white. Take a look.
White higher Btu that green ash.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Not boxelder, those have three lobed leaves. Sometimes they can be hard to make out, but I haven't seen that many so smooth. Looks like ash to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.