Is this an example of FLA bungalow syndrome?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
Yesterday I fired up the TL-300 to take some of the chill out of the basement and to cook some hamburgers on its grill.
I got it up to the normal 500-550 degrees stove top and turned it down to pos 1 (this would normally hold it around 400-450),
but for some reason instead of falling it went up to 650 and was continuing to climb. So I closed the primary air to let the temps fall, normally when I do this the fire settles down, it only settled down a little bit and I could see that the secondary combustion chamber was still giving it allot of air.

The temps outside was above 60 with slight breeze, and I do have outside air connected to it.

It sounds a bit more like dry wood and perhaps too big a load for the desired stove temp?

Actually there really wasn't a whole lot of wood added, only a few splits.
What was strange you could see that is was pulling air from the air holes from the combustion chamber.
My thoughts were that since I have a outside air kit, I may have to put something on it to close the outside air down.

A example of draft differing due to environmental factors - the weather (not just temp) can have a lot to do with it. Controlling the actual surface temp of a stove on a short burn can be very difficult and unpredictable. We have seen folks here who thought they had their stove down pat for five years - all of a sudden, it acts in a different fashion. Although they tend to think something may have changed (loose gaskets, etc.), my thinking is that it is the almost infinite number of variables involved (weather, wood, operator, etc.).

I'm thinking grease fire from the stuff coming out of the hamburger patties.

Florida Weber Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.