Is this Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razo

Burning Hunk
Jan 8, 2014
NEPA
I have this tree available to me, was trying to find out what type of wood it is. Its been down for 2 years and has no top, I didn't take a round to split so these are the only pics I have. I was thinking ash.

upload_2014-3-27_11-36-42.png

upload_2014-3-27_11-36-49.png

The end of the log looks very Ashy. Your picture isnt clear but I can still see growth rings very easily.
The bark is tougher, I dont see the "diamonds" that the peaks of the ridges form that would make it a classic ID. Knowing that bark is variable I would say possibly White Ash.
But not 100% sure.
Its not poplar or any of the lighter woods, so its probably a safe time investment.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Thanks for the opinion, I felt the same about the bark, I can kick myself for not at least grabbing a round to split to get a better look at the grain. Glad to know its not one of the softer hardwoods.

It sure looks like Ash to me. I kind of want those grooves to be deeper, but bark certainly can change from a younger part of a tree to an older part. If you see evidence of the EAB, then it's confirmed. D shaped holes or pull up the bark.

Attachments

• IMG_5392.JPG
    IMG_5392.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 149
Thanks for the input, what do you mean by the following:

see evidence of the EAB, then it's confirmed. D shaped holes or pull up the bark.

I'm not familiar with what you are referring to but would love to find out if it would help me better identify ash in the future

Razo, rest in peace. You have some ash there.

What Soundchasm was relating to is the hole in the bark that the EAB makes. That hole will be shaped like a D. Just picture that D in the tree and there will be several of them show at eye level and below. Then after felling the tree you'll also find more holes in the limbs.

Here is a picture of an EAB. There is one hold down and to the left of the borer in the picture.

Emerald Ash Borer-1.JPG

One good thing is that you need not rush to get the wood as ash will last for years and years. We got the borer in 2002 and are still cutting dead trees. So far we've had only 2 trees fall but the rest are still standing or are in our wood piles right now. Well, some is also in our stove now.

The little BB size hole right in the middle at the end of each cut piece. Dead give away:) Nice wood.

Ash as already stated.

Emerald Ash Borer
It looks like a elongated wad of aluminum foil with lime green paint sprayed over it.
It is one of many metallic colored wood borers. It was traced to a shipping dock on Lake Michigan where it was introduced.
It is a wood eating bug with a devasting appetite for Native Ash trees. The bug is wiping the trees out as it spreads across the country.

Here's a picture of a "D shaped exit hole" made by an emerald ash borer.
D-shaped-exit-holes.jpeg

The adult lays eggs in the crevices on the bark, the eggs hatch and bore tiny holes through the bark into the layer just beneath the bark, then they eat criss crossing back and forth under the bark. The next stage, they bore into the wood, pupate, then bore their way back out of the tree as an adult to fly off and mate. They leave that distinctive D shaped hole when they emerge from the tree as adults.

Wow awesome info guys! Never knew any of that about the EAB. I can't wait to get my hands on this Ash now.

Thanks for the opinion, I felt the same about the bark, I can kick myself for not at least grabbing a round to split to get a better look at the grain. Glad to know its not one of the softer hardwoods.
Yeah, the split grain is very distinctive, rougher than, say, Maple, and can have more of a yellow cast to it (that might just be the dead standing.) White Ash is great firewood, with heat output almost that of Red Oak. Better than Green or Black Ash.

If you see evidence of the EAB, then it's confirmed. D shaped holes or pull up the bark.
I'm not familiar with what you are referring to but would love to find out if it would help me better identify ash in the future
If you are able to identify the trees by the holes, kiss your Ash goodbye; It's just a question of time before they're all gone. I haven't seen the holes yet, but it won't be long here. :( What does the "D" stand for, "dumb" for importing me? ;sick

Last edited:
Emerald Ash Borer
It looks like a elongated wad of aluminum foil with lime green paint sprayed over it.
It is one of many metallic colored wood borers. It was traced to a shipping dock on Lake Michigan where it was introduced.
It is a wood eating bug with a devasting appetite for Native Ash trees. The bug is wiping the trees out as it spreads across the country.

The first picture is one I took when we found this in one of our wood piles.

Emerald Ash Borer.JPG EmeraldAshBorerMale.jpg

Nasty little thing, such a shame with imported insects, just like the asian stink bugs. I haven't noticed any of the EAB holes yet but haven't really looked. I hope they have not made their way to the woods of Pennsylvania yet.

I hope they have not made their way to the woods of Pennsylvania yet.
If they're not there yet, it won't be long.

EAB_2012_National_Survey.gif

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
EAB is not in my part of CT yet, according to the DEP....but I took an ash down in my yard last month and there were D holes in it..the branches were dying off as well.

The first thing we noticed here (other than the holes) seemed to be the flaking of the bark. Then the trees would also send out new suckers mostly near the bottom of the tree. Once you see those, the tree is basically history.

Status
Not open for further replies.