Is this Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
This fell about 3/4 mile from the house on a nice, quiet back road. It is county property and a town road. easy pickin's for me. Looks like Ash to me. No leaves to confirm. I am overloaded at the house and will only make room for the good stuff at this point.

Attachments

• 1018111732.jpg
    1018111732.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 654
  • 1018111732a.jpg
    1018111732a.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 614
  • 1018111732b.jpg
    1018111732b.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 627
  • 1018111733.jpg
    1018111733.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 622
FBF, it's hard to tell but I have small basswood that the bark looks the same. I also cut a tree with the same looking bark up top that I thought was basswood, which turned out to be Ash.

zap

Are the twigs opposite? If so, likely ash from what I see. Cheers!

Looks like Ash from the pictures. One of the best things about Ash is how easy it splits. That nice straight grain. Take a quick block off of it and hit it with a maul quick. 9 out of 10 times if it is ash it will fall into two pieces and create a smile on your face because of how easy it was to split. Nice find man.

The town cut and chipped the top so there aren't really any leaves or twigs. I think this came down during Irene so most pf the leaves are gone by now. I forgot to mention that it took a small Black Locust with it. :coolsmile:

The wood looks like ash but the bark.....I'm not sure. It could be. I bet it will burn.....and it looks like it splits easy.....and it is free. Great combination.

Flatbedford said:
The town cut and chipped the top so there aren't really any leaves or twigs. I think this came down during Irene so most pf the leaves are gone by now. I forgot to mention that it took a small Black Locust with it. :coolsmile:

I thought I saw BL in the second pic on the bottom left.

The bark and grain look identical to white ash. We have lost so many of them here lately. To me, it rivals red oak. Lights off at first (quickly) with bright yellow flame, then settles down to a long slow lazy blue fire. Our cat stove loves it, so we enjoy the extended heat.

My Fireview was loving Ash last year. I only have about 1/4 cord of it left from last year, then it will be all Black Locust this year. Looks like there will be some ash next year.

Steve,
Looks like one that fooled me into thinking it was White Ash recently.
It was Tulip Poplar. It'll still burn ok- just gets punky earlier. Good shoulder season stuff.

Lood around it for other living trees. These trees usually grow around each other. If you see a bunch of Ash, then I would assume that.

Since you are familiar with ash, you'd tell if it were basswood because those 1/2 rounds would be considerably lighter than what you are used to.

pen

CTYank said:
Steve,
Looks like one that fooled me into thinking it was White Ash recently.
It was Tulip Poplar. It'll still burn ok- just gets punky earlier. Good shoulder season stuff.
That's what I was thinking maybe. Often hard to tell for sure with just a picture.

I guess I'll know by the weight when I start cutting. I have a friend who just bought a house with a fireplace, if this isn't Ash, I'll give it to him. It will look nice burning and he won't really miss the btus of better wood. Now to find some time to cut it. Doing 7 day weeks at work lately.

i agree with nh_wood

find an upper branch and look for any opposing branches.

if the branches are alternate instead of opposing, i'd guess basswood. although on one of the split pieces the grain looks like ash.

i have also mistaken tulip for ash until splitting and seeing the green yellow heartwood.

Bark seems odd for ash, but the growth rings Scream ASH! My vote Ash.

Jay,
That's why I am not sure. Everything but the bark says Ash. Upper branches are gone. I am goona call it Ash too.

Flatbedford said:
Jay,
That's why I am not sure. Everything but the bark says Ash. Upper branches are gone. I am goona call it Ash too.

See if there are D shaped holes in the bark. This is the sign of ash borer.
I think it is also ash. D shaped holes will confirm. Also the bark will come off and under it will have nice trails running verticle to the trunk from the borer. This will also confirm ash further.

The bark looks real close to the White Ash we have around here.

According to the NYS EPA the EAB is not in my area yet. It is close though.

Flatbedford said:
I bet it is. Look at the tops of the trees that are ash. They loose their leaves from the top first. In a stand of trees they are easy to spot. Its probably why that tree fell.

I would call it ash. Just my .02.

Flatbedford said:
Flatbed, I thought that was an interesting possibility, so I checked with NJ state on this situation. According to the state of NJ, its also not in NJ. I guess it takes time for the paper pushers to actually go out into the fields and see the trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.