Is this Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
POPLAR...the ridges are usually flat which looks like the case in the above picture. Ash ridges have more of an edge. Furthermore, it is very commonplace for the trunk of a poplar tree to be very straight and then come to a Y higher up. I think I saw that as well in the picture. Do this, buck another piece and give it the smell test. Ash will smell like lumber, Poplar will be distinctive.

One last thing. Pick up the bucked piece. Poplar will be might lighter than Ash. There is a particular wooded development 20 minutes from me that are teaming with Poplar & Ash trees. I learned a lot about the both of them.

Stax said:
POPLAR...the ridges are usually flat which looks like the case in the above picture. Ash ridges have more of an edge. Furthermore, it is very commonplace for the trunk of a poplar tree to be very straight and then come to a Y higher up. I think I saw that as well in the picture. Do this, buck another piece and give it the smell test. Ash will smell like lumber, Poplar will be distinctive.
Good eye on the bark, I just went and looked at my White Ash :lol: and found I have some of both, some of the ridges were tapered and some were flat, not sure if the pieces were from the same tree or not.

The bark does look more like Tulip but the split piece looks like Ash. Tulip has a darker greenish center to it. Plus the growth rings look just like Ash not Tulip.

I cut some yesterday. This tree has been dead for a while. No leaves or little branches on it. It split like butter. the splits felt just a bit lighter than seasoned Oak. I'm calling it Ash. This tree also took down a 16" or so at the base Cherry with it. Here's a couple more crappy cell phone pics of the bark.

Attachments

• 1023111308a.jpg
    1023111308a.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 1023111308.jpg
    1023111308.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 123
Flatbedford said:
I cut some yesterday. This tree has been dead for a while. No leaves or little branches on it. It split like butter. the splits felt just a bit lighter than seasoned Oak. I'm calling it Ash. This tree also took down a 16" or so at the base Cherry with it. Here's a couple more crappy cell phone pics of the bark.

My vote would be ash to.

Bark looks ashier to me than in the earlier photos. That and the well-defined end grain (as Smokin' pointed out above) makes me 99.44% sure it's ash.

Looks like typical piece of white ash!

Status
Not open for further replies.