Is this ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gark

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Some of the bark came off and underneath were S- shaped channels on the outer cambium surface. So, maybe ash? The bark looks different than any ash I've seen before though. The dark areas were soggy and there's some punky outsides. Fallen down, dead (awhile) tree. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0149.jpg
    IMAG0149.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 158
Looks like it to me with that sapwood and borer signs, esp with you being in michighan. Does it feel dense but light? You could try burnin a piece and see how long and color of the flame. Ash is usually bright and keeps for a while. Sorts it from poplars.

That dark heartwood does not look like ash.

Not ash for sure but don't know what you have

photo 1 is ASH, Bark is differant from white or greenl ash in next two photos if wood is same as first photo I will say it is BLACK ASH.

The inside looks like Ash to me, but not the bark. Maybe, as said above, another sub species of Ash than I have seen.

Don't look like the ash we have here.

I think nrford has nailed it once again. If so, that's a good medium-heat wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.