Is this bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjm1017

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2012
Corapeake NC
So its getting closer and closer to that glorious time to start burning again and Im making sure everything is ready to go. Today i was sitting on the couch and I heard a rattling sound coming from the hearth area I got up and went to inspect it and saw nothing but dust and cobwebs. I then looked inside the fireplace and tapped on the T going up to the liner it rattled. I took off the cleanout cap and it was full of what I assume is creosote along with some bugs and a little lizard. The last time I cleaned the liner was towards the end of the winter I did have a couple more weeks of off and on burning after that and havent really messed with it since then. Im planning on having a sweep come out in a week or two to clean it for me. My biggest concern is whats up with all this stuff falling down out of the liner? Is it a bad sign should I be concerned about the integrity of my liner? I know I had less than stellar burning practices last year but it was my first year burning and I didnt know what I know now about getting the wood properly seasoned. Ive included some pictures of what was in the cap and also a shot up the liner.

IMAG0216.jpg IMAG0217.jpg IMAG0220_BURST001.jpg

I don't see anything to get too concerned about, especially if you know the wood was poorly seasoned. With well seasoned wood this should become just a memory. The sote that you found in the tee cap was probably loosened up by the expansion and contraction of the liner as it heated and cooled during the summer.

Reactions: mattjm1017
Thanks it was a little weird finding that this morning so naturally I was concerned. Not with geico they wouldnt like me anyway since the lizard was dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.