Is this bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

parsimonious

Dec 8, 2011
Upstate NY
I ran out of dry wood, however I may have found something that might help me through the shoulder season or burn my house down. One or the other.
I have plenty of wood for next season but none dry left for this. This is my first season burning wood.

So I was splitting some freshly dropped scots pine(big guys,approx 2.5ft diameter or more) And I noticed that the interior 6 inch square splits were much lighter than an equivelant sized exterior triangular cuts.
So using the Archimedes principles of bouyancy/density(I dont have a moisture meter)and comparing the felled today interior splits to seasoned splits of the the same species, todays splits were as bouyant(to the eye).
So to the next part of my experiment,todays exterior splits were thrown into the bucket. They were much less bouyant. The seasoned and unseasoned interior splits were visibly much more bouyant.

So the next logical thing to do was throw some of these Archimedes approved interior splits(sic) into the fire.They lit right up and didn't smoke noticibly more than seasoned wood and ran just as hot as normal stovetop temps.
The interior wood was also different in color than the outer 50% of the bucks/blocks. Not just a one tree anomaly. All the large(over 2ft diameter)scots pines exhibeted the same characteristics.Darker(color) and lighter(weight) interiors that burn well.

Anyone else notice this?I have alot of these trees on my property and the soner they are gone the better. I have plans for that area.

Anytime there is any question about the fuel source or the safety of the chimney, I recommend running the brush down at least once per month. If there is any doubt in your mind about either I'd say, do just that. The looks of a fire can be deceiving, but a clean chimney won't burn.

Doing this gives you both piece of mind and experience, both of which you can use when deciding whether or not to clean the chimney or burn "X" fuel in the future.

pen

Trees die from the inside out when due to old age. Eventualy the dried interior will rot. I would still season that portion for year however, I think you will be even happier with it if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.