Is this Black Locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machria

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2012
Brookhaven, Long Island
Hard to tell from the pics, but the inside wood is very yellow/greenish in color. This was a live tree that came down in Sandy, about 6 weeks ago. It's hard and heavy. The bark looks very much like Lucust as I've seen... but I'm not familiar with the inside...

So what is this?

Post the pic Mac! From you description sounds like locust, bark on BL is very thick and kind of spongy if that helps.

Ooooops! Here ya go! ;)

Attachments

• bark.JPG
    bark.JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 279
  • Inside Out.JPG
    Inside Out.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 288
It sure is.

Reactions: smokinj
Yeah looks like locust. The confirmation for me is if you look at the face cut and the bark is camel brown on the inside. Once the size of the rounds get over about 12" the bark starts to get really thick and furrowed.

The bark looks like Black Locust, and Black Locust has yellowish wood. I'd almost say that wood is too yellow for Black Locust, but maybe the color is off due to the fact I'm seeing a digital photo posted online.

The color is definitely not correct in the photo. It's very greenish, yellow/green. The bark is very deep and furrowed, and the round was about 12".

Reactions: TreePointer
Looks to be locust to me

Bark is similar to black locust, but that dark wood doesn't look like any black locust I've seen either green or seasoned. When freshly cut, black locust should look pale yellow to almost nuclear yellow with no dark heartwood (just cut some more yesterday).

How about siberian elm?

The color is definitely not correct in the photo. It's very greenish, yellow/green. The bark is very deep and furrowed, and the round was about 12".
I agree, the color of the wood doesn't match locust.

I have to get a better photo of it, it is not dark in any way, it is BRIGHT Green/Yellow. Suprisingly bright green/yellow, hence the question. I've never cut Lucost before, so that is why I'm questioning it.

That wood looks much like a tree I cut this Fall?

Seeing the leaves, I knew mine wasnt Locust. But after I cut it, I never grabbed a leaf and asked for wood I.D. :(

I just figured it will burn well in 3 years. But if yours is what mine was, I know it was Not Locust. :(

It was pretty yellow when split, but is almost a Dark brown now. Will get a pic tomorrow if I remember :)

2012-09-16_14-01-47_869.jpg 2012-09-23_16-03-46_310.jpg

Dexter,you have Mulberry.It'll start turning golden to dark brown in a matter of a few days once exposed to light & air.I have some 2 yr old that's almost chocolate color on end grain & exposed split surfaces.Any new cuts with saw or resplitting & its bright yellow again.

Dexter,you have Mulberry.It'll start turning golden to dark brown in a matter of a few days once exposed to light & air.I have some 2 yr old that's almost chocolate color on end grain & exposed split surfaces.Any new cuts with saw or resplitting & its bright yellow again.

Thanks Thistle! :)

Reactions: ScotO
Boy, the inside of Dexter's wood looks very much like mine (except for color loss via pics and web?), but the bark looks much different. My bark is really deep and thick....

If the color isnt looking right from the picture compared to real life it could be locust.

That's it, inside of bark looks like a camel hair jacket.

By that do you mean it's "hariy" when "ripped" and twisted? If so, this is it, cause I have some peices from where the tree was split from the wind, and it looks like a blond wig!

Here are some pics I just ran out and snapped, it's dark so the flash is on, and it's raining, so it's all wet. This was splti today, so it's fresh split, and soaking wet. The wood pile behind it which all looks darker is Oak and Maple.

Attachments

• Endgrain.JPG
    Endgrain.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Stack1.JPG
    Stack1.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 208
  • split bark1.JPG
    split bark1.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 176
  • split bark2.JPG
    split bark2.JPG
    342.8 KB · Views: 197
  • splitbark3.JPG
    splitbark3.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 203
By that do you mean it's "hariy" when "ripped" and twisted? If so, this is it, cause I have some peices from where the tree was split from the wind, and it looks like a blond wig!

Here are some pics I just ran out and snapped, it's dark so the flash is on, and it's raining, so it's all wet. This was splti today, so it's fresh split, and soaking wet. The wood pile behind it which all looks darker is Oak and Maple.

Yeah kinda. Even when cut cleanly the "camel" brown bark is sort of fuzzy. It's also soft, for tree bark anyway. Your first new pic looks like classic locust to me.

Boy it looks like locust, but then at the same time it don't......tell ya what should be a giveaway: give a sniff to some of the fresh splits. Black locust has an "olive" scent to it, kinda like when you eat the pitted olives with pimentos in them. That would seal the deal, IMO.

So get out there and give it a 'courtesy sniff'!!

You had to mention olives damn you!! ;lol Now I'm hungry.Could really go for a couple of those big green spicy ones stuffed w/ garlic clove,few slices of hot sopressata & chunk of ciabatta bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.