Is this Cheating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfandwoodnut

Minister of Fire
I have learned that I can use my Bobcat to raise the bucket up to the level of my deck railing, probably about 14 feet. It saves me alot of steps carrying wood up to the deck. This year I took the cheap Harbor Freight Carport/tent that I was keeping the Bobcat in and took off a section and put it on this part of the deck. It keeps the rain and sun off and has come in real handy for storing the wood just a few steps from the stove.

The first picture is the before wood supply. The second is the bucket at railing height the third picture will be in the next post after 4 buckets.

I brought up a bunch of Sassafrass and some Locust. I am pleasantly surprised by the Sassafrass as it is my least favorite wood, but it is burning very hot, and mixing in the Locust is a nice contrast. These woods are related but burn nothing alike. After this it will be mostly Oak. I guess I could have this filled like a woodshed, for now a a cord at a time is fine and you may notice I cross stacked around the window area so I can use that section first to open up the view from the window.

Attachments

• cheatingstart.jpg
    cheatingstart.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 966
  • cheating1.jpg
    cheating1.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 968
4 buckets later, 12 feet wide about 7 feet high. I cut my rounds 20 inches wide.

Attachments

• cheating2.jpg
    cheating2.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 922
It's never cheating to use the resources you have available to your advantage to get done what needs to get done. I use the FEL on my little tractor to move rounds to my splitter and to move splits wherever they need to be.

I think its brilliant, cheating would be opening the window to bring in your wood !

GolfandWoodNut said:
I have learned that I can use my Bobcat to raise the bucket up to the level of my deck railing, probably about 14 feet. It saves me alot of steps carrying wood up to the deck. This year I took the cheap Harbor Freight Carport/tent that I was keeping the Bobcat in and took off a section and put it on this part of the deck. It keeps the rain and sun off and has come in real handy for storing the wood just a few steps from the stove.

The first picture is the before wood supply. The second is the bucket at railing height the third picture will be in the next post after 4 buckets.

I brought up a bunch of Sassafrass and some Locust. I am pleasantly surprised by the Sassafrass as it is my least favorite wood, but it is burning very hot, and mixing in the Locust is a nice contrast. These woods are related but burn nothing alike. After this it will be mostly Oak. I guess I could have this filled like a woodshed, for now a a cord at a time is fine and you may notice I cross stacked around the window area so I can use that section first to open up the view from the window.

I call it working smarter. Do you put some plywood between the wood & the window?

Happy New Year
Zap

zapny said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

I call it working smarter. Do you put some plywood between the wood & the window?

Happy New Year
Zap

Maybe I should Zap, but the window is recessed by about 4 inches so no wood is touching it.

Backwoods said:
I think its brilliant, cheating would be opening the window to bring in your wood !

Backwoods, that is a good idea, might want to try that some time when it is really cold. My wife and I talked about that.

fossil said:
It's never cheating to use the resources you have available to your advantage to get done what needs to get done. I use the FEL on my little tractor to move rounds to my splitter and to move splits wherever they need to be.
Fossil, you keep finding more use for the FEL, I am sure glad I got it. Have several plans for next year including a food plot for the deer and maybe even a pond. So far no major repairs needed.

I'd put a plywood sheet between the window and the stack in case the tent collapses in a big snow storm.

Make sure your deck is built to take the weight. I've heard of some collapsing.

If you built a small ramp to extend your reach, you would be able to dump the bucket. j/k

Put a gate on the porch railing so you don't have to reach over the top. I store a couple weeks worth on the front porch too. Three tractor buckets and it's good to go.

You should probably go back to packing the wood up the stairs in a couple of months to be in shape for walking the course. :cheese:

Great idea.

Looks like the old wood piles have grown since i've seen them.

Couldnt finish off that champagne Sat night?

Loco Gringo said:
Couldnt finish off that champagne Sat night?

:lol: I was thinking maybe he was waiting to finish the job to pop them open.

Golfandwoodnut, I think your idea is brilliant. Put that sexy bobcat to work... :cheese:

Woody Stover said:
You should probably go back to packing the wood up the stairs in a couple of months to be in shape for walking the course. :cheese:

+1 LOL

It's great how much wood those bobcat buckets can hold. Doesn't take long to move a stack of firewood. :coolsmile:

love it! and I'd like to add that mrs golfandwoodnut must be pretty understanding. I think my mrs would red flag me for that one. dont know until I surprise her.

woodsmaster said:
Make sure your deck is built to take the weight. I've heard of some collapsing.

I have the same concern as above...

If you are asking the question then obviously you feel that it is cheating, and I agree. To level the playing field you should bring that bobcat over to my house and move a cord of wood onto my back deck.

Yes it is cheating, possibly illegal.

Yes. Cheating. If I had one of those than it would nit be cheating. :)

Yes your a cheater! Glad to see I'm not the only one!

If you're not cheating your working too hard!

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.