Is this considered a Class A chimney ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildingmaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2007
Oil City PA
I was at Home Depot looking at Englanders NCH 13 wood stove. By their display they had " chimney kits and pipe" . I looked in one of the boxes to see what the pipe looked like, it looked like a galvanized outer covering inside the pipe was a stainless insulated pipe. Is this pipe considered class A? Can you run it outside as it is ? Or do you have to run it inside cement chimney blocks ?

Sounds like double wall Class A to me. I dont think galvanized is allowed inside. It wont last as long as stainless over stainless but if it is Class A ( should state so on the label ) it is code ok.

It is probably Type 103HT (sometimes called Class A) and it can be ran outside as is. If you are planning on burning coal or oil or live on a coast (near saltwater) you should use stainless casing, but otherwise galvanized is fine (people put B-Vent out their roof all the time and it has a galvanized casing, most roof flashings are also galvanized).

Status
Not open for further replies.