is this cottonwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewjoseph

Sep 17, 2013
omaha, ne
This came from a standing dead tree on my lot, most if not all the bark was off and with no leaves I can't tell for sure. There is little grain, and the color is almost white.

Its super dry though, right after felling and bucking. All under 18 percent.

Is this cottonwood? Hopefully these pictures are good enough.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 20131106_182128.jpg
    20131106_182128.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 20131106_182121.jpg
    20131106_182121.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 20131106_182115.jpg
    20131106_182115.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 182
LOOKS to be either cotton or soft maple, I am leaning more to maple because of the black lines in the wood.

LOOKS to be either cotton or soft maple, I am leaning more to maple because of the black lines in the wood.

The other main reason I'm questioning if its cottonwood is that I can't find another cottonwood in the rest of the woods.

Here is another photo of a split chunk.

Attachments

• 20131106_203913.jpg
    20131106_203913.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 160
That looked just like a picture I looked at a couple min ago and the bark on that one was poplar. So this one my be poplar and about shot.

checkout fitter9 s thread about wood id and new pictures , about 7-9 below this one.

Perhaps this might shed some light. Pic. 1 silver (soft) maple bark.
IMAG0283.jpg
pic. 2 silver maple split.
IMAG0282.jpg
pic. 3 cottonwood chunks.
IMAG0286.jpg
pic. 4 also cottonwood chunks.
IMAG0287.jpg
pic. 5 poplar bark
IMAG0284.jpg
pic. 6 poplar grain split (with baby poop green :b )
IMAG0285.jpg

Sorry again for the fuzzy phone pics. I hope this helps you or someone. I might even be schooled by these other fine individuals. I'm still saying cotton. I have burnt more of that stuff than all my other woods combined.

Sorry again for the fuzzy phone pics. I hope this helps you or someone. I might even be schooled by these other fine individuals. I'm still saying cotton. I have burnt more of that stuff than all my other woods combined.

It looks like you've got a couple of different kinds there. the next to last photo looks a lot like Box Elder to me.

This came from a standing dead tree on my lot, most if not all the bark was off and with no leaves I can't tell for sure. There is little grain, and the color is almost white.

Its super dry though, right after felling and bucking. All under 18 percent.

Is this cottonwood? Hopefully these pictures are good enough.

Thanks for any help

Andrew, I do not think this is cottonwood but it is difficult to tell for sure what it is. It very well could be elm. I don't think it is maple.

Reactions: Applesister
My "best guess" was elm as well. Is it tough to split or stringy - trying to hold itself together? If so, elm for sure.

My "best guess" was elm as well. Is it tough to split or stringy - trying to hold itself together? If so, elm for sure.

Definetly not stringy. Very little grain. Split very easy.
I have an old fireplace, nothing fancy at all. I put a 5" by 5" by 16" chunk in and it burned red hot for about three and a half hours before it lost shape. Then crumbled and burned red hot for even longer. don't know how long because it mixed in with the rest of the coals.

It dosent smell odd and burns well. I am new to this whole deal so I definetly don't know.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. This appears to be the only tree like this I have so I guess I won't worry a bunch about it. Kind of a wierd one though.

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.