Is this crack going to cost me $2500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KBRanch

May 10, 2014
Saluda VA
Chimney inspection found this crack only. The chimney sweep said they need to rip out all of the clay liner to the tune of $2500 to take it all out and line with a flex liner.

The location of the crack is directly on the tile or section were the themble commects to the stove.

I was thinking of putting an liner in but do I meed to break out the clay?

Attachments

• 20140514_182108.jpg
    20140514_182108.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
You don't need to bust out the tiles if an insulated liner will fit. What are the inside dimensions of the clay liner?

And what is the height of the chimney?

It likely does need re-lined, if its cracked right there its also cracked other places. Most often the crack continues the length of the flue. Occasionally the clay needs to be removed, but not very often. Most of the time an insulated stainless flexible liner can be pulled down without removing the clay.
Chimney sweeps are kinda notorious for a big bill to re-line a flue. If its under 25', you should have no issues getting it done for $1500 or less.

that looks like a 7 by 7 inch liner to me which usually does need broken out in order to get proper insulation in. Like others said what is the height of the chimney? $2500 might be overpriced might not be depending on the type of liner and the height of the chimney. And by the way breaking out is not that big of a deal and usually doesn't add that much to the cost of the job

Its an odd width 7 1/4" x 8".

According to the guy doing the inspection he could only find that crack. He said its $1380 for a new liner but with the knock out its roughly $2500.

Im confused though because I got 3 estimates and the outcome has been so radically different.

One guy said the chimney was just fine as is.....

I want to put in a liner and to be honest im leaning on doing it myself. Does not look all that difficult.

My wood/oil furnace is in the basement and when I moved into my house last year I knew I was going to have the chimney relined. My chimney is about 32' and it cost $3700. I had to have my tile liner broken out and the new liner is a 316 alloy heavywall stainless liner with two tees and blanket insulation.

I'm not sure if I could have gotten a better price or not. Two people quoted it and they both came very close. I chose the one I did because I know a few people who used him.

I could have used a thinner/cheaper liner but I thought the thicker steel must be safer so who cares. The funny thing is this year I'll be getting a BK Ashford installed in the living room with its own double lined pipe going up through the roof. And the furnace in the basement probably wont be used. Oh well!

Not sure if this helps but compared to the $3700 I paid, yours sounds not too bad. But maybe I got overcharged.

Small crack right where the pipe blasts into the tile. No sign it extends to the tile above it. On the other side of the chimney away from any framing members. Located where the tee will be.

I wouldn't knock out those tiles until a camera is run down that chimney looking for any other cracks or compromised mortar joints.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Its an odd width 7 1/4" x 8".

According to the guy doing the inspection he could only find that crack. He said its $1380 for a new liner but with the knock out its roughly $2500.

Im confused though because I got 3 estimates and the outcome has been so radically different.

One guy said the chimney was just fine as is.....

I want to put in a liner and to be honest im leaning on doing it myself. Does not look all that difficult.
It's not all that difficult. But in order to remove those tiles you will need several specialty tools. That being said, it shouldn't cost near that much to remove em. Unless its extremely tall!

yeah that price jump for breakout is really high that sounds out of line to me

Small crack right where the pipe blasts into the tile. No sign it extends to the tile above it. On the other side of the chimney away from any framing members. Located where the tee will be.

I wouldn't knock out those tiles until a camera is run down that chimney looking for any other cracks or compromised mortar joints.

I planned on putting a liner down it. The guy with the higher estimate used a camera and said the only thing he could find was that crack. I thought maybe I could just use this chimney as is but the more I read the better I am feeling about putting a liner in it. I dont think I will be taking the tiles out especially because this is the only crack that could be found.

It really should be insulated. But that isn't gonna happen without removing tiles, in fact it would be hard to get a 6" liner down unless those tiles are aligned almost perfectly. They usually have a fair amount of difference from top to bottom.

I'm wondering if a 5.5" liner would work. What is the height of the chimney? Or consider M&G DuraLiner.

Duraliner is the tits!!!

Sounds like 5.5" liner might work if it makes the install simpler. Or consider 6" Duraliner. It's pre-insulated and has an OD of 6 5/8". Duraliner is a high quality liner system with many install options. (flex, rigid, round, oval, tees, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.