Is this creosote I smell??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey Guys

Lately (past month and a half) I have noticed a strange smell upon lighting my wood stove. It is coming from my double wall stove pipes. It is actually coming from the small vents in the outside layer of the double wall pipes. It smells sweet. Once the fire gets going, after about 45 mins and everything is nice, hot and rolling, the smell is gone. I am trying to keep the stove going 24/7 since my wife is pregnant and can’t stand that smell. Any ideas? Would this be the smell of creosote? I don't think it's paint curing, I have had fires going for over 2 months. I burned the pipes in the first few times and there was a great amount of smoke coming off of them (and consequently filling my basement). I shoulda burned it outside first.

I have already tried heating my pipes numerous times to temperatures of 800-1000 degrees and the smell is still there.

I gotta get this smell fixed, it’s gonna drive her (and then me) nuts.

Andrew

Andrew, I would not call the smell of creosote sweet, but by your description of where it is coming from it very well could be creosote. Best get that chimney checked ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.